just got the ddts-100

pros:

*works great

*movies sound awesome

*neo:6 and prologic2 are not *that bad for music, in fact i kind of like them, much better the SRSII circle surround and lost better then cmss

*digital out on my sound card (revo) is a lot better then analog. At volume 40 my ultras are blasting. 40 sounds like 55! I cant even turn it past 50, 50 sounds like 70.

*plenty of optical inputs.

*easy to use, DTS and Dolby work automatically

*analog switch box option for eax game support.

cons

* remove is too cheap

*looks ugly

*way too light, i plugged in my heavy monster cables and it nearly tipped it over from the weight.

*standing up is just stupid, laying flat you cant read anything

*the rubber feet fall off too easy

*buttons feel cheap

*no lcd

*switch box is stupid bceause it should be included into the decoder (its just more wires this way)

*stereo cables which come with the unite only work with an a2 ZS (splits the 7/8th channel.

*outputs only to 3 stereo cables, so the only 6.1 and 7.1 speakers you can use are the gigaworks or inspires (good thing Klipsch does not make 6.1 system because I would be mad.

conclusion

despite is cheap looks and cheap feel it makes everything sound better, I can also connect my cd player to my speakers now among other things, this unite is worth 120 bucks i paid, and even tho there are a lot more cons the pros outweigh them by far. I would be happier paying a little more money to get a solid piece of metal with nice buttons, but oh well, the unite does what its supposed to do, and the maxtied music modes are worth a damn unlike prologic I

I found out what DAC the decoder uses. I opened mine up using a crafty method i invented that doesnt break the warranty seal or even make it look tampered with. And this was written on the DAC chip.

dspd56367pv150

0k41r

qec0334

the DSPD56367 is the big giveaway that it's a motorola product.

I'm going to have to get my bro to help me do an ABX test comparing the Audigy2 analog out to the decoder's DAC.

The Audigy2 has a kickass DAC, i'm just not sure how Creative's decoder's DAC stands up to it. I'll report again when i state my findings ;)

----------------

On 3/17/2004 5:41:16 PM Erukian wrote:

I found out what DAC the decoder uses. I opened mine up using a crafty method i invented that doesnt break the warranty seal or even make it look tampered with. And this was written on the DAC chip.

dspd56367pv150

0k41r

qec0334

the DSPD56367 is the big giveaway that it's a motorola product.

I'm going to have to get my bro to help me do an ABX test comparing the Audigy2 analog out to the decoder's DAC.

The Audigy2 has a kickass DAC, i'm just not sure how Creative's decoder's DAC stands up to it. I'll report again when i state my findings
;)

----------------

Cool, thx for the info Erukian. After hooking up my pioneer vsx-d812k to the ultras via preamp-outs, I have to admit that the sound quality as improved dramatically over the DDTS-100. Furthermore the discreteness of the surround channels(including center surround channels) has improved considerably. All in all, a worthy investment IMO16.gif

• 3 months later...

Hey there...I want to hook up my HTPC to my TV and use the Ultra 5.1's as my speakers. I was worried because I noticed that my center channel was fairly weak when playing DVD movies (couldn't hear the diologue).

Basically, I wanted to get the Creative ddts-100 so I could use it as somewhat of a "mini receiver" but you mentioned that you are using the pioneer vsx-d812k instead of the ddts-100? How does work? You still can't hook up the Ultra 5.1's directly to the receiver, right? I just want the best setup without killing the bank!

Thanks in advance!