La Scalas powered by a Class T amplifier

Hello Klipsch land,

Had to give a heads up here. I have the new sony STR DA5000es that uses class T technology lisensed from Tripath Technologies. Its rated at 170watt RMS x 7(8ohms) . For those of you who turn your nose up at sony......It is the same chipset that the new audio research is now using for thier solid state amplifiers. For reference, I have used conrad johson, audio research, rotel, ps audio and many others. This is better than all of them.....Without going into a rave review, I must say that I have never heard my la scala sound better. Observations:

1. The midrange is just fantastic. Very non fatiguing.....I hate to use the word tube like...but....it fits....very SMOOTH with bloom

2. Dynamics is startling....I have never heard better snap and decay from my LS

3. Top end is once again SMOOTH....just unreal from a digital amp....yet the crash of a cymble will make you jump out of your seat...

4. excellent timber of vocal

5. All this with a 29lbs a/v receiver that doesnt even get warm ....if this was a class ab amp it would have weight in at 100lbs cost 5 times as much and be 3 times the size.

This is after 2 months of using it....I never thought id give up tubes....The new class T amp is quite special on Klipsch.....Just a heads up...

Keep listing,

Jeff

jpfream@hotmail.com

welcome to the forum jeff!

i have been using a carver professional ZR1000 amplifier powering my KLF-30'S since last october....

the ZR series from carver professional is also based on a chip from tripath....

i agree with your conclusions totally.... great sound!.... no fatigue at all.....

congrats on your receiver!!!!!

1.gif

Hi Minn,

Thanks for the email....I didnt know that carver pro has a class T amp....Thanks for the update....Ive been preaching tubes and horns forever....I going to have to say CLASS T is better at this point....I will miss playing with the bias and tubes...as for sound.....It is so good Im shocked....

Tube lovers look out......There's a new kid on the block....He's Called Class T

Keep listening,

Jeff

I have a 8 watt Walatham Integration prototype that I remeber as Class T.

It is sweet and confuonds people with its performance.

Leok on this forum is the inventor of this implementation of the TRIPATH chip.

It is a very efficient low waste heat potential when using the chip.

LEOK has a papaer on his that he may choose to add to this thread.

I will never sell mine it is too cool.

there is a new digital amp available from griffen technologies.....

15watts per channel and has a usb input.... only $99 direct from the manufacturer!!!!

here's the link to the website....

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerwave/techspecs.php

several people on audiocircle.com have tried it and say it performs extremely well.....

maybe a great solution to a music server hooked up to a pair of klipsch speakers.......

prod_powerwave_back.jpg

It's good to see the word get out .. as long as it is taking. My goal in building the P6D was to create an amp capable of low distortion at low power which I had decided would work well with efficient speakers, like the Klipsch Forte-II I was using at the time.

The Tripath technology is a good match with Klipsch speakers. My only warning: watch the power. Klipsch speakers don't need much. I use less than 10 Watts. Others use more .. maybe 20 Watts. More than that only increases noise and distortion, unless some very careful power supply regulation in brought into play.

Still, this technology makes it obvious how inadequate most linear ss amps are, and have been for the past 20 years.

Leo

Thanks for the emails,

Here is a white paper web link on class T:

http://www.tripath.com/downloads/an1.pdf

The class T amplifier is the only SS amp I can listen for hours without wanting to go back to tubes.....Sony has hit a home run with this....I talked to an Audio Reaserch tech that said he gave up with tube amp for their new class T model....Claims it flat out better in all respects than his old AR tubes...!!!

http://www.audioresearch.com/150.2.html

Fun stuff.....

Jeff