So what about the RC7 as Mains?

Deang

I'd like some further discussion about this. It's an interesting idea - especially for those of us who are subwoofing with monitors. A monitor oriented person like me has no use for the RF7 - since my subwoofer is handling the lower octaves.

If I want to 'upgrade' to the 1.75" horn. I mean - there is no RB7.

The real question is what impact does the crossover have on the sonic signature of the RC7? With the 2nd driver only going up to 550HZ - would this create a slighting more forward sounding midrange?

If one were to turn the horn so that the speaker could be used in a vertical fashion - can we be sure the screw holes would line up?

And the bigger questions for me are:

What do I gain from this configuration over my RB5's and what would I lose?

And now that I think about - why isn't there an RB7? I guess it's really hard to improve on already existent perfection (RB5 Smile.gif

DeanGW

cwm13.gif

This message has been edited by deang on 06-30-2001 at 08:32 PM

Guest BobG

deang, the RC-7 actually makes a very nice main speaker and three across the front with sub is an interesting setup. Here are a couple of points worth noting. 1)The holes in the horn and the cabinet are bi-axially symmetrical (cool term I just made up) so that you can rotate the horn 90 degrees and use the same holes. 2) The RC-7 uses a tapered array crossover with one woofer crossed out earllier than the other to minimize comb filtering in the midrange and the choppy frequency response that would result. This also means that the speaker will sound a bit different depending on which end is up. You'll have to listen and it will depend on whether the speaker is above or below ear height. 3) There are holes in what is usually the bottom of the speaker. These holes accommodate the tilting legs used when the center is higher than the mains. This means that the holes will be visible when the speaker is stood on end.

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

2) The RC-7 uses a tapered array crossover with one woofer crossed out earllier than the other to minimize comb filtering in the midrange and the choppy frequency response that would result. This also means that the speaker will sound a bit different depending on which end is up. You'll have to listen and it will depend on whether the speaker is above or below ear height.

So BobG could you tell me which woofer is phased out early (the right or left side)?? I am considering either RB5's or inverted RC7's for front effects with my KLF30's. They would be on omnimounts well above and outside the 30's. Guess I want the one phased out early on bottom, correct?? Any better ideas?? Sorry for "horning" in here deang!

------------------

Fronts: KLF30's paired with KSW15's.

Center: KLF-C7

Sides: KSP-S6's paired with Pinacle Baby Boomers.

Rears: KLF-20's with one KSW-12 in between.

Denon AVR-5800

Denon DVD-3300 DVD-A with iScan Pro(Prog scan)

Sony KP-53XBR300 TV

Denon DCM5000/DCM5001 CD Changers

Denon CDR-W1500 CDRW

Denon TU-1500RD Tuner

HHB CDR850 Pro CDRW

Tascam DA-302 Dual DAT

ButtKicker/Behringer EX-1200/Carvin DCM-1000

Monster HTS5000/HTS2500

This message has been edited by red_eye on 07-02-2001 at 12:54 PM

Guest BobG

Actually, I'm going to have to ask one of our engineers. I honestly do not know which way the tapered arrays "point". I'll try to get the info soon.

Yeah, baby! I'm feeling a bit "horny",too!

BobG- I've got a pair of ksp400's w/ ksp-c6 and ksf-s5's for surrounds. Been thinkin' about ksp-c6's for rears for 5 ch. stereo(Denon 3300). Or maybe some in-walls. Some of that bi-axial symetry rotation sounds like something I'd be into. OT- a banana is tri-laterally symetrical(and thus impossible to bi-wire).

Mr fini