Heresy Crossover

T_Shomaker

----------------

On 3/14/2004 6:03:41 PM DeanG wrote:

Same caps, yes -- absolutely.

Hey, I forgot -- you live close don't you. After you buy them, bring them by. I'll put them on my fancy Leok Capper Zapper for you.

----------------

Thanks, I'll take you up on that offer!2.gif That capper zapper is for breaking them in, right? And that's done before installing them?

• 2 years later...

I have read through this thread and it appears that I am also in need of a upgrade to my 1976 Hereseys. I have already contacted Bob Crites and he can sell me the Sonicaps at less cost than I can buy them elsewhere so I will go that route. While reading this thread, however there was a reference about changing the 2.5 mH inductor to a inductor built by Solen. I checked the list of available inductors at www.solen.ca and they do not sell a 2.5 mH inductor only a 2.4 mH and a 2.7 mH inductor. Both values are available in a wide range of wire sizes and also in both solid wire and Litz wire. Litz wire is a bit more but not dramatically in smaller wire sizes. Normally Litz wire is only used for tweeter network and it appears that the 2.5 mH inducor in the type E crossover is in the woofer leg so the Litz wire would likely not be any better than the solid wire. I do not know what the DCR of the original inductor is nor am I smart enough to determine if using the 2.4 mH Solens will change the parameters too much. Normally bigger wire is better but I suppose this can be taken to extremes as well. Thus I am uncertain if I should bother changing the inductors and if I do so which one to select.

Anyone care to educate me a bit better on this before I order parts and start the rebuild of my networks?

DeanG I looked through all the threads I could find on the subject of the DCR of the Hersey inductor. Per www.solen.ca I found both the #14 and #12 AIR CORED IDUCTORS PERFECT LAY HEXAGONAL WINDING inductors. I cut and pasted the specs for each here (S142.4 2.4 mH .36 22x45x89 S122.4 2.4 H .26 25x51x102 ). If I refer to other threads on this forum, such as the thread titled "Inductor upgrade for Heresy - 12 ga. vs 14 ga. wire", it indicates that the stock inductor measured about 0.4 ohms and advised using the #14 guage wire due to best cost. The S122.4 is priced at $42.68 and the S142.4 is $25.86, which is quite a difference in cost, but more importantly it seems that the #14 wire size is a closer match to the stock DCR as it is 0.36 ohms. Looking to www.partsexpress.com I find part number 266-380 for a 2.5mH 14 GA. Erse PERFECT LAYER INDUCTOR and Specifications: Wire Gauge: 14 Core Type: Air DCR: .36 ohms Power Handling: 800 watts Overall Diameter: 3-11/16". This part has a cost of $35.19 so if the 2.4 mH value from Solen is close enough it is also a better value than the Erse inductor. What I have observed in the last week was that merely doing the research for parts suppliers and prices results in me finding someone on this forum to come forth and help me with better selections and prices as well. Great support system. I do see that others have replaced the Heresy's inductor and have mixed comments about it being worthwhile. I will probably just keep to my plan to replace the caps and let it go at that.