Need help with headphone recommendation

Daddy Dee

My brother in law is the sound guy for his church. He was asking me about a headphone recommendation to deal with his particular situation. Whatever he is using now is not satisfactory because he needs to hear just what is going on the tape. His current headphones also let in the ambient room sound, which is a problem. He was wondering if I had a suggestion. I said, nope, but I have an idea that there are some folks on the forum who might have some good advisement.

Any recommendations. Budget and bang for the buck are helpful considerations. I don't know what kind of money he's actually got to work with. Probably not alot.

Appreciate any help here.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser's (HD 280 Pro) about 2 yrs ago and they're great, I must say. They ran me about $80 some odd dollars but for the money everything sounds really, really clear. There are better headphones out there but Sennheiser makes a pretty darn good pair, in my opinion. So, I'd recommend looking into Sennheiser.

Daddy,

You can take a gander at this site.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26

The budget is the big unknown. But he needs to buy some full-sized ones, completely covering the ears. I used to listen to Sennheisers and liked them. Now I listen to headphones about a minute or so every year.

What's his budget?

Oops, just read that you don't know.

On the cheap side, if the issue is hearing whether sound is being laid down on tape or not, and you're not looking for super high fidelity, I'd look at a new or used set of Koss Pro4AA cans. They are very effective at sealing out external sounds. They're pretty ancient technology by today's standards, and you're not gonna mistake them for newer Sennheisers or Grados or AKGs or, well, much of anything else for that matter, but they will seal out external sounds really well, and they don't sound all THAT bad.

Also, the Bose noise cancelling phones might be worth a look.

" Bose noise cancelling phones"

I felt the Bose noise canelling cans that I demoed were very poor at actually cancelling noise. The didn't sound too bad, but if there was active noise cancellling going on, It wasn't very good. The Sonys I listened to (Im 85-90% sure they were Sony) did a much better job at noise cancelling. Neither sounded that great to me, compared to my Grado 125s, at least (note that they are an entirelly different beast, the grados being open, non-noise cancelling).

I would suggest some Sony Headphones from their line marketed toward DJs. They usually block out quite a bit of noise, and don't sound too bad.

" Stax Lambda Jr's and they sound awesome. If that wasn't possible I would get a pair of bose headphones (not the noise canceling)."

Certainly Stax sound pretty good in a "sit down and listen to music in a quiet environment" type setting, but unless things have changed since I've seen them...they need a whooping amount of power, are pricely, and as far as using them for mixing, I would think poor for blocking out sounds. True? I have never worn any in an extremely loud place (like a church) so correct me if I'm mistaken.

Just curious, since were kinda on the topic, I've seen them mentioned twice, are there bose headphones that are decent? I don't know the models that I've used, but I thought they all serious underperfomed for their price mark. Which models of Bose have you guys heard that might be decent perfomers?

----------------

On 3/14/2004 11:01:00 PM skeptic wrote:

" Stax Lambda Jr's and they sound awesome. If that wasn't possible I would get a pair of bose headphones (not the noise canceling)."

Certainly Stax sound pretty good in a "sit down and listen to music in a quiet environment" type setting, but unless things have changed since I've seen them...they need a whooping amount of power, are pricely, and as far as using them for mixing, I would think poor for blocking out sounds. True? I have never worn any in an extremely loud place (like a church) so correct me if I'm mistaken.

----------------

I haven't really tried them in a loud setting but i believe they make a closed model which would help. It would probably be best just to get the bose headphones because the stax would be a little pricey and probably too much of a hassle.

----------------

On 3/14/2004 5:40:43 PM DaddyDee wrote:

My brother in law is the sound guy for his church. He was asking me about a headphone recommendation to deal with his particular situation. Whatever he is using now is not satisfactory because he needs to hear just what is going on the tape. His current headphones also let in the ambient room sound, which is a problem. He was wondering if I had a suggestion. I said, nope, but I have an idea that there are some folks on the forum who might have some good advisement.

Any recommendations. Budget and bang for the buck are helpful considerations. I don't know what kind of money he's actually got to work with. Probably not alot.

Appreciate any help here.

----------------

someone already mentioned HEADPHONE.com which is awsome cause they have the most info on headphones out there...

if you want true noise cancellation try the ETOMOTICS (spelling..??) earbuds--they block noise as well as industrial grade earplugs (23DB rate) and are audiophile level equipment. I think electronic "noise cancellation" is a bit of a gimmick....

they aren't cheap though...you might need to take up donations for them....

Hello,

I do quite a bit of keyboard recording, live work, etc and use the Sony V900 headphones. They are great for live work. I think are good for audio listening as well. They do block most of the outside sounds out. I sometimes am recording with them for several hours at a time.