Can you drop type a or aa crossover right into a al?

Hello Klipschland,

I have a pair of 1989 LS with the AL networks. Type M drivers on tweeter and sqwaker.......

1.Can I just replace the AL directly with A or AA xovers (Troy of klipsch said the the m mid driver is more sensitive... can you hear it?

2. If not will ALK xovers drop right in?

3. Will it make a noticeable different is Sound quality?

Thank you,

Jeff

Well, I will give this one a try.

My experience is sort of the opposite of what you are trying, but should be applicable. I have a set of 1979 Lascalas with the AA crossovers and alnico K-77 and K-55V. I have replaced the alnico drivers with the ceramic K-55M and K-77M just to see what difference there would be. I really could not tell that I had changed anything. They sounded exactly the same to me.

Bob Crites

Hi, Jeff:

when I sold my La Scalas after I got the Klipschorns, I included an extra pair of AA networks I had. The new owner very much liked the sound of the ALs when he auditioned the speakers at our house, but found them too bright at his own home. He is now using the AA networks, and finds the balance better, with less energy to the tweeter.

I put type AA crossovers in my 1991 LaScalas, with the same driver consist of yours. The AA sounded much better than the more complicated network. I tried swapping out the K-55-Ms for earlier "mushroom" drivers. The newer drivers sounded much better, both to me and to co-workers I dragged in from the hallway. Now, admittedly, this was in a small room and being driven by a low-end JVC receiver, but the improvements were not subtle.

I've run AL, ALK, AA and A and they all worked just fine. I am on the fence between Type A and type AA. I find type A's harsh to some degree with some mid hash to boot. This is a very small difference between the two and hard to put your finger on. I really didn't hear much difference at all at reasonable volumes but when psuhed the AA seems smoother.

Craig

The A and AA are certainly less complex than the AL. I've used all three, and have built a couple of the versions of the A, as well as the AA with a bridging capacitor that provides just a bit more high frequency response than the stock AA. The AA is just a bit rolled off in the upper registers for my tastes (also my wife's), and so the A seems to be a good compromise. ALK has done a considerable amount of very capable investigation and testing on this subject, and has indicated that the A, while providing more high frequency extension (brightness), may lack a certain amount of protection from the intrusion of frequencies perhaps better suited to the midrange horn. So, in this respect, the AA plus bridging capacitor may be the most appropriate.

I'm presently using the A network built with all very inexpensive capacitors, except for the 12uf, which was kindly given to me by another forum member. Kevin Cut-Throat has also shared what look to be like very good quality oil capacitors, and those are sitting on my workbench right now. I'm curious to try them, but want to use them for a completely new network.

I would suggest keeping your AL as is, and building the very simple A crossover just to try. The only way to really get a handle on this is to listen for yourself. Opinions on this forum differ to such contrasting degree that it is just better to learn for yourself. There is also the question of the kind of components used. Where some prefer to use oil capacitors in the midrange and tweeter branch, some will prefer plastic tubulars. Having had a pair of La Scalas for awhile, I would say that using better quality coils in the woofer circuit could be a good idea.

I can't remember his name, but there is a forum member who is building the A networks. I've seen the craftsmanship, and they look neat and very well done.

Have fun! What you are doing is really one of the ejoyable aspects of owning and using Klipsch horns!

Good Morning,

Is it true that the ALK crossover lowers the khorn/Ls by two db....from 104 to 102 eff? Also about how much does it cost just to by the parts for a ALK crossover if one was going to build them?

I have one of my Khorns torn down. I am replacing the old stained grill cloth and have done some light sanding to the birch wood. WOW they are starting to look really good3.gif . I guess I should also ask is their is a special type of oil I should use on the wood? Thanks Guys,