4.1 ProMedias suddenly hissing, subwoofer box hot

Hello,

I've had a set of 4.1 ProMedia speakers for the last year and a half (out of warranty). A few days ago, all four speakers started hissing badly. This occurs even when they aren't hooked up to a source. Putting the speakers in standby has no effect, and the volume of the hiss doesn't change with the volume control -- it is constant.

There was no change in any of my hardware configuration. It literally just started happening for no reason. The speakers weren't even playing anything at the time.

I noticed in the course of investigating this that the back of the subwoofer box is extremely hot. I know it runs warm normally, but I can't keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds.

When I unplug the unit and let it cool down and then plug it back in, the hissing is gone. But it slowly comes back (getting louder and louder) within a minute.

I talked to Klipsch technical support and they want me to send it the unit back for a $50 repair. Not to mention shipping. And what's worse, there's only a 90-day guarantee on the work. Who's to say it won't happen again in a year? I'd be more tempted to spend $150 and get a new set of speakers by some other manufacturer.

It's extremely annoying that aompanies these days include such a short warranty on their products. Essentially this says you're buying an unreliable piece of crap.

But I digress. Has anyone else seen this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Indeed, the first course of action was to unplug it and leave it off.

Thanks for the advice.

What a drag. I think if I get it fixed I'll attach a heat sink and a fan! Funny that it only happens after a year and a half of constant power, and even when they weren't doing anything!

I keep a Vornado 550B Compac Air Circulator $39.99 at Amazon.com blowing on my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 when in use. No problem keeping the Sub back plate cool.

This fan has a completely variable speed control. So I just keep it on very slow and it keeps the noise down while still cooling.

----------------

It's extremely annoying that aompanies these days include such a short warranty on their products. Essentially this says you're buying an unreliable piece of crap.

But I digress. Has anyone else seen this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

----------------

My unrealiable piece of crap is at this moment at the service center.

The last time it was there was December last year. You are lucky they give a 90 day warranty after the repair. I only have a 30 day warranty.

But the guys at the center said that if it was the same parts as last time, they would repair it for free.

Until they get a proper solution to the busted amp problem, I would suggest saving the money and getting another set of speakers.