How could I forget

J.4knee

Last night was the first time in a long time I actually got to push my La Scala's. I did not actually push too hard them about 96 98 db peaks 88-89 db average. Since I got married, nearly ten years now, I have not driven them to what Ill call louder volumes the wife prefers music as a background effect. Well last night the little Mrs. had to run a number of errands and I declined to accompany her. I turned my system on and listened to the radio for about 45 minutes and then I opted to play Little Feat Down on the Farm. My listening position is only about 9 feet from the speakers. After about 30 seconds into the song Down on the Farm I turned it up and man alive did they sing. It was like I forgot how good these things sound at louder volumes, at least louder for me. So let me paraphrase/plagiarize the Direct TV commercial and say Jumping Jehosaphat Yeeha (not sure about the spelling.) Man, I love how these speakers just lift up vocals to your ears and then still reproduce the softest background effect with equal precision and ease. PWK truly was an inspired man. I followed up Little Feat with Dave Bruebeck and then Tchaikovskys 1812 Overture before the little lady returned home. I have not had a night like that for quite some time, pure enjoyment. How could I forget?

As a single guy and a home owner, I have all the opportunities in the world to play music at just about any volume I choose. I often choose 90-95db. I think that it would be difficult to live in an environment where I was restricted to low volume. Have you thought about building a dedicated music room, sound proofed as well as needed in order to enjoy your system more often? If that's not possible, perhaps you could arrange for a listening night weekly or so. You know, give the wife some cash and drop her off at the mall. 9.gif

She surprisingly agreed that she could visit her mom who lives close by when I "Feel the need for volume." Seems to be the best interim solution. We want to buy a new house in the future although not sure when and one of the priorities is to set up a dedicated home theatre/listening room.