LFE settings

ptony619

I have Klipsch bookshelves L/R and a klipsch center. I have an Adire Audio Rava sub. When watching DVD's or cable movies using Dolby Digital everything sounds great but when explosions happen and certain scenes like that happen, there is way too much bass output and I have to turn the volume down and after I have to turn the volume up again so it sounds great again. I am using a Y-cable attached to the sub cable. Should I not use the Y-cable? I have put the LFE output on the receiver to 10 then to 20 but still sound way to loud. The volume on the sub is at about 1/4. Should I not use the Y-cable and put the LFE setting to 0. The numbers on the LFE settings mean 0db to -20db right? I have a Yamaha HTR-5660. What should I try? thanks.

I would try a couple of things first. I would try moving the sub away from the wall a little more, experiment with placment, if you have the ability to. And i would also try turing the gain level and crossover setting between the mains and the sub down some. I had this problem also, and the gain level and crossover setting was my problem. It took me a couple of months to find the right settings where it was not to loud in movies, but yet loud enough to kick in music.