Is there a way to get OSD to display on a laptop?

m00n

So my receiver has an OSD, (on screen display). Thats good and all, but the only thing I have in my theater is my projector. I don't really like wasting bulb life by playing around with speaker settings in OSD. I don't have a small TV I can take in there either.

Thus I was wondering if there was anyway to get the OSD which is a single RCA jack out from the receiver, and get that signal somehow onto my laptop screen. Anybody know if this can be done?

BTW, the laptop is a IBM Thinkpad T20.

Thanks.

I'm sure it can. Not sure if that's a really old or really new laptop, but whatever the case I'm sure it has a VGA port. I am 99% sure Radioshack has such adapters. RCA - VGA. If they do (and I'll pray alongside you that they do), simply attach the laptop via this adapter and whatever Video Channel Out your receiver spits that signal out on, engage that and the image should flicker and then appear on your laptop screen.

BTW - get a mac. 3.gif

----------------

On 3/24/2004 2:12:23 AM nicholtl wrote:

BTW - get a mac.
3.gif

----------------

You're really chipping away at my image of you. No macs... 14.gif. That would be like telling someone at Klipsch to go by something like JBL. 2.gif

Thanks for the heads up on the vga.. I was thinking that was vga ouput only. BTW, it's a Pentium 3.

what's wrong with JBL? *shifty eyes*

If your laptop has USB or firewire ports, there's cool little gadgets out there that have the three red,white, and yellow RCA jacks for connecting things like a VCR to your laptop. I have no idea where you might find these, but I know we've got one in my studio and I've never even tried it either. I just know that it's there and if I was ever desperate, I might try to plug it in and see if it works. I suppose I could stop by and bring it home to try it out if you're interested.

A quick search online for "USB Video Adapter" brought me this: Nextag

You're looking at spending $50 - $100 for this thing.

If your laptop has an s-video input, you might consider an S-Video to RCA Adapter. I bought mine at ratshack for $40, but you can find them online for $15, like at gateway: Belkin S-Video to RCA Adapter

Or if your reciever has an s-video out, you can just plug that straight into your laptop.

most all laptops have an s-video out, but sometimes i've seen them work both ways where it can work as an input too. (kinda like the vga thing nicholtl mentioned).

I have never seen a laptop with a video-input built into the system. If you have a USB port, you can buy a video capture system, & that will work, Most start at about $79.

I would head down to the local Circuit City or whatever & pick up a cheap 13" TV, such as an Apex. They are usually $39, have RCA inputs, & then can be used as portables wherever, like Kids room, Kitchen, Garage, Camping....

Thanks everyone for the input... I think cyclone has the logical ticket. At least for now.

I did post very similiar to this one over at avsforum asking about the ability to control my hk avr 7200 from my pc. I guess there is a way but the guy who answered me didn't really elaborate much on it. Hoping he will reply.

• 18 years later...

I know this is super SUPER old but it's late, or early depending on how you want to look at it and strangely one of the very few conversations that I have been able to find on this subject. However I also have a Klipsch account  that I used recently to buy speakers and can't find my log in credentials so it's probably just related to the time and how long I have been at this.

Before I ask a question though, I can't help but say that I have 2 complete 7.2 systems, one is an Onkyo and Klipsch system and one is a Harman Kardon and JBL system and I enjoy them both equally. I also have a Chevy and a Ford and my boys have a Nissan and a Toyota that they switch up driving and which both were mine. I drink Pepsi and Coke, I'll date white or black women, I dislike all governments and religions and I don't care what brand color or nationality something or someone is as long as it's good stuff or good hearts.

That being said, I'm trying to get the OSD from my HK receiver on my Windows 11 laptop via HDMI but it appears that is only an output. My only TV is non mobile, my HK is 75' away and I don't have an HDMI cable that long. Is this possible or do I have to go get a cheap tv!