ROPE CAULK What to expect in sound??

Dylanl

I just rope caulked my 1 horn what differences should I expect to hear between one speaker with caulk & one without in an A/B comparison? From a quick listen it seems to seperate the music into layers vs. a melting pot of sound. There is a large difference I just can not put my finger on what it truley is. What have any of you found?

Thanks1.gif

Some horns are improved by adding damping material and some horns aren't. If improved the improvement will be in tonality, less coloration.

Be careful that you aren't just deluding yourself into hearing a difference. And mind that comparing two speakers they NEVER sound identical because where they are in the room effects the sound greatly. Thus a difference you hear comparing speakers might be due to their different places in the room and not because of a mod. Also normal variances in mass produced speakers means that no two are likely to sound identical regardless of room effects.

Basically, if it needed dampening in the first place, then you would probably hear a improvement in the "clarity". If not, then no harm done. The mid-range horns cannot be "over-dampened" by material applied to the outside of the horn...some people cast their horns in concrete for exactly that reason, to stifle horn wall vibration.

DM

The horn lens on the tweeter is smaller and is less subseptible to ringing but if you feel compelled you can put some on it to. I just decided to remove the K-400 horn lenses and replace them with the new composite K-401 lens. At $50 each it was an easy choice, I don't have to mess with gobbing stuff all over them they are rigid and have ribs on the outside to eliminate any possible ringing effects.

I found some rope caulk made the ringing in the midrange squawker less irritating. I tried this on the tweeter and found it dampened the sound too much for my liking. The amount you put between the magnet and the front edge of the horn depends on what you want it to sound like. I use about 2" up from the magnet. Others have put two layers of caulking on the whole horn throat.

Experiment and see what you like. The good thing, it just peel right off and isn't very expensive.

• 2 weeks later...