RSW-12 Hookup & Settings. Help Needed!!

Hello people

I just traded in my KSW-300 for RSW 12 and want some advice on how to hook it up. Here is a list of my equipment:

KLF-30 (Fronts)

KLF C-7 (Center)

RF 3 (Surrounds)

RC 3 (Rear Center)

RSW 12 (Sub)

Yamaha DSP AZ-1 (Asian version of RZ-1)

Bass out from my speaker settings is set to "Both". All speakers are set to "Large"

The qs are as follows:

- I read somewhere about using a Y adaptor so that the single output from the reciever can be connected to the L/R inputs in the sub since the RSW does not have a separate LFE input. Should i use a Y adaptor or not?

- Should low pass crossover be enabled or disabled (LFE mode)according to my speaker settings in the reciever as mentioned above?

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million guys!!!!!!

Oooh, Asian version of RZ-1. Is it silver?

You should probably use the Y-connector as it increases the signal strength from the receiver to your sub, so if, in the case you decide to leave it set to "Auto On," not to mention the fact that Klipsch subs take a little more juice before they kick on, it will register the signal earlier.

What I would recommend as far as your speaker settings and LFE sweep would be to set all your speakers to "Small," because this will let the sub do the work for you, and free up your speakers to do what they're better at producing. So on your receiver, set bass to "subwoofer only" and leave the mains (and center and rears) to small. If you set them to "Large" as well, you might get some boomy, unnatural sounding bass.

Now, engage the "LFE Bypass" switch (if there is one) on the back of your sub, meaning that the LFE electronic cutoff will strictly be done by your receiver, and not by the RSW-12. If there is no LFE bypass switch on the RSW-12, then just turn the frequency sweep knob up all the way. I'm assuming that would be something around 120 to 150Hz, giving the RZ-1 as much headroom as possible before bringing the cleaver down.

And then, (finally!) on the RZ-1, experiment anywhere from 80Hz to 120Hz for your crossover frequency (meaning where you speakers leave off and the sub takes over). 80Hz is the THX standard, 100Hz is my fave.

Weird, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the RZ-1 (or AZ-1 in your case) was until recently, the flagship Yamaha receiver? I'm SURE it would have an LFE crossover setting? Even the lower end receivers should have it. But if it doesn't, then you should definitely engage the LFE crossover on your RSW-12, and set it to anywhere from 80Hz to 120Hz, give or take a few hertz to or until your liking. Make sure though, that your speakers are all set to "Small" and the bass is sent to "Subwoofer Only" on your Yamaha.

But I swear...there MUST be an LFE setting with your receiver...?

O.K, O.K., O.K. Look. Ive been reading for some time of people complaining with cries of HELP in their posts about their subwoofers giving them trouble when trying to trigger them ON while in AUTO mode. People have said that it is a signal problem. Well, thats correct in a way but you cant just say that Klipsch subwoofers need a stronger signal and have all the bases covered. SVS had customers experiencing similar problems with signal strength and impedance matching with their Samson amps. I have one of these amps but I did not have this problem. Heres the deal.

*****What they found is that SOME owners of SOME models of SOME Denon and Yamaha receivers were getting low voltage sub preout signals AND impedance mismatching problems from their units that resulted in a weak signal to the bass amplifier. A FEW HK receiver owners also reported this*****

Now since we dont want to have this thread bombarded with people posting how their Denon or Yamaha or HK receiver is hooked up to 75 different brands of subwoofer that they may own and it never gives them a problem while in auto mode I would like you to read the paragraph bracketed in stars again.

One more thing. Did you read the paragraph in stars again? Did you pay attention to the word SOME!

Do I sound childish? No. I dont think so because the next thing you know some knucklehead is posting a BS story on forums all over America that he read some where that all Denon, Yamaha, and HK receivers manufactured since 1999 are being recalled because they have faulty preout signal problems!!! You didnt read that here. Get it?

With that said if I were experiencing the problem many people have complained about, regardless of what brand of sub, amp or receiver I was using, and felt comfortable that it amounts to a signal strength issue with MY processor than I would TRY what was originally called the Black Box solution that SVS came up with. Its called Marchand interface signal booster.

*NOTE*

I am NOT posting here to promote products other than Klipsch on this forum but ! IF ! it helps any of our forum members with their Klipsch subwoofers performance it MIGHT be worth looking into since it has been reported it has worked out well for people with similar problems. You can find it here on the SVS sites Parts and Accessories page:

Marchand interface signal booster