Connecting sub to receiver without LFE

Gun

I just bought a RSW-12 for my upcoming HT.

I currently have an old Yamaha R9 receiver without any subwoofer connection.

How can I connect this sub and receiver? I read elsewhere that I can connect it to tape out...just want to verify this before I start connecting anything.

tia

Gun

Good point, Juba. Most tape outs are not controlled by the volume knob of the receiver, which would make that a tricky proposition to live with, I suspect.

I'd follow the suggestion to hook your sub to your speaker level outputs of the receiver. Then, hook your mains either to the sub (if you want to use its crossover) or the receiver (if you don't want to filter the signal going to your main speakers).

Thanks, I think "speaker-level inputs" finally clicked in my mind.

I thought that the rca jacks on the sub were only for sub out from whatever source.

This is just temporary and I already have 4 speakers connected to the receiver so this is what I am thinking..please correct me if its wrong.

I can run speaker cable from my speaker "C" lugs on the receiver (A & B in use already) to the rca "in" jacks on the subwoofer, but will not be able to filter the frequency being sent to the main speakers this way.

The only way I could quickly and easily use the filter would be to tie the wires from each pair of speakers together and connect them to the rca "out" jacks on the sub....would this damage anything?

Thanks again

gun

I went with the Speaker C lug option.

All sounded wonderful for the hour or so it worked, then the R9 bit the dust 8.gif

Oh well, now time to decide between a Denon 3805 and a separates setup.

Thanks for the input.

gun

It was as if the power cord was pulled from the wall, it just shut off. This was at rather low volume and did so without any smoke or smell.

Its just as well it happened now, I had planned on sending it to the shop to try to get rid of some of the "Rice Krispies" in the controls and replace the memory battery as soon as I bought a multi channel replacement for it.

"I thought that the rca jacks on the sub were only for sub out from whatever source." They are.

You don't want to hook your speaker posts on your receiver to the RCA connectors on your sub. The speaker posts are "high level/high power" outputs. The RCA connectors are low/line level inputs. You would hook speaker outputs on receiver to speaker/high level inputs on the sub, not the RCA connectors.