Minium dist from wall for RC7 to breath

m00n

----------------

On 7/11/2005 10:57:48 AM greg099 wrote:

I bought my Klipsch fronts, side and rear surrounds, and center after much assistance from the folks on this site. I really appreciated the technical expertise, and I am once again in need of some guidance.

As you can see, I've done the search thing here to find my answer, but I need a bit more advice on this one than the attched thread contains.

I have an RC7 (my center channel) hanging on a shelf behind a fake proscenium wall over the top of my screen. It has about 4 inches of rear clearance before it hits the felt-covered screen trim which goes about half way up behind the speaker. The top half of the port has a little more clearance, probably 6 or 7 inches to the wall on which the screen hangs.

Technically this is enough clearance, but I'm concerned about where the sound goes when it leaves the ports. Right now the area around the RC7 is relatively open, but I am planning to hang a felt-covered trim piece under the RC7's shelf to hide it from view, effectively creating a sound barrier that will run the entire length of the screen width. There will also be a curtain hanging between the back of the speaker and the wall at some point that will also impede sound flow.

My questions:

1. Will this "enclosure" cause sonic issues? Boominess or lost sound are concerns for me. What problems do I need to listen for?

2. Has anyone tried stuffing the ports? Is this dangerous or sonically stupid? I saw it mentioned once or twice, but noone admitted to actually trying it.

3. What would I lose or gain by stuffing the ports? I have a kicking subwoofer, so if the only consequence is lost bass, it may be acceptable to avoid other issues.

My Fronts are RB7's, and the RC7 is almost overpowering them already. So loss of gain might not be a big issue. I like the thought that the only sound will be coming directly through the speaker fronts to the audience, but I'm afraid of echo or boominess if those rear ports start firing sound around inside this semi-enclosed space I'm creating.

Thanks for your help!

Greg

----------------

What crossover on your HT receiver do you have the RC7 set to?

Ie large or small? 80hz, 120 etc hz??