Channel Balance? Disc or Reciever?

sbquart

My experience has been that a setup disk by Avia or Sound & Vision is better by enough margin to justify the cost. I set the four surrounds a bit hot with the DD Surround EX signal. I set the subwoofer by ear, but be aware that you can set a sub way too hot by ear.

Bill

Imo, the test tones ore okay to set the balance, but a setup disc is better. I do not have one yet, but in the future I shall pick one up. If you have a dvd that features the Thx optimizer, you can use that as well. I used the one that is on the Moulin Rouge dvd. There are also video tests for optimizing the picture on yout television.

I have mixed feelings about this. I think using a test disc will get the levels perfect for your DVD player, but may not be the best for your other sources. That said, I use a test disc to set up multichannel. I have my stereo setting set with the test tones of my receiver. I wish there was a set-up CD to calibrate my CD player, and that Satellite Boxes came with Test Tones built into them. But I'm a little crazy.3.gif