Bits and pieces....

maxg

Item 1:

Well I tried reversing the polarity on a bunch of records with very varying results.

From my initial play it seems the majority sound either identical or worse with the polarity of the speakers reversed. To date the only record I have which certainly appears to sound better is:

Paganini / Mozart

Violin Concerto 1 / Violin Concerto 4

Jiri Novak

Prague Symphony

Vaclav Smetacek

Supraphon

Mono

Czech

Interestingly this was the only mono record I tried. I wonder if these 2 facts are related.

For reference the portrayal of the music just seemed to be that much cleaner and crisper.

Item 2:

I finally finished my cataloging of my classical collection - 283 records on my handheld and on my computer at work (for backup):

I added a final piece of information - type of music (Opera, Symphony, etc.) so that I can see each at a glance.

Item 3:

As space is now at a premium I am considering getting rid of some of my Rock, Jazz, Blues etc.

My main supplier of classical is also the supplier of a record cleaning machine I have mentioned before:

boheme%20record%20cleaner.jpg?dc=4675466

I think he may be interested in a swap for a three or four hundred of my records.

This is one seriously cool machine. Seriously powerful at 1400 watts for the suction and cleans records both forwards and in reverse. It also takes about 1/4 the time of the Clearaudio unit I have seen. He sells it here for around 1000 Euros. I am thinking of solving 2 problems with a single step....

Of course I hate the idea of parting with vinyl, but space is critical now and I really dont listen to most of these. We'll have to see I suppose...

BTW - He is interested in selling these in the US. Anyone fancing becoming a dealer please let me know ...

OK that's it for now....

Max, that looks like a very interesting device. Is there a web site with more detail? Is the manufacturer related in anyway to the famous flautist of the same name who initiated casting flutes of precious metal with a precise conic section to focus sound waves across the holes? -HornEd

PS: Or has my aging memory failed me once again?

Horned

No to everything - sadly.

the unit is made here in Greece and they have done nothing for marketing. There is a single dealer of the product here. I met the manufacturer and he wants to go global - tee hee.

Anyway if there is anyone out there interested in picking up this product I will let him know.

I promised him I would mention it here is all. In the meantime if he goes for the record / cleaner swap I will be able to report back how well it works in the field, so to speak. Certainly with him using the machine it works a charm and is most impressive - if not the quietest unit I ever heard - comparible to a normal vacuum cleaner I think.

Just a thought...

At 1400W just for the suction, and two presumably powerful motors turning, it may be borderline to operate on many household plugs in the US.

As an aside... which Clie do you use? I'm trying to find the cheapest acceptable PDA for catalog use, and I'm woefully unfamiliar with the subject.

I use the PEG TG50. Its a middle of the range unit that does for me (especially with the 256 MB memory stick!!). Probably more than you need if it is really just for catalogues. The Palm Zire is supposed to be very good too - at the middle range.

I didnt bother with the higher end offerings as the only one I fancied (the Tungsten T3 from Palm) is on real short supply over here and I couldnt find one at any price.

That one would be great for catalogues as it supports landscape mode - more data on screen at any one time.

CNET and PCMAG both have reviews of the latest and greatest if you want to research it.

BC,

Now you mentioned it I am not sure if 1400 watts is just for the suction or also runs both motors...

I'll check into that one and get back. At any rate I can't imagine it uses more power than a washing machine.

But it does suck - in the right way that is.

He demoed it with a record and the force you need to push the record away from the brass head was impressive, even without the record turning. Frankly the unit scares me a bit - it is hard to believe it does no damage to the vinyl - of course he swears blind it doesnt - but there is only going to be one way to tell.

If I get one I think I will leave it on the unit for a couple of hours and see what happens.

I'll report back if there are bits of vinyl all over my house at the end.

----------------

On 4/2/2004 10:14:05 AM maxg wrote:

If I get one I think I will leave it on the unit for a couple of hours and see what happens.

----------------

I don't know if you are kidding or not, but I would think machines like this are designed with frequent rest cycles in mind. Maybe it doesn't matter, but you should inquire.

HiMax, if you're considering selling your records instead of trading it against that sucker... A list would be very interesting either way. Greetings, Tim.1.gif On the other hand... hundreds of albums on the forum might clog it, or be too much work. Thanks for reading this useless posting, Tim.2.gif

Shipping from Greece may be expensive for LPs as well.

Not if you live in Holland.

9.gif

I mean not as much as it cost me to have my Heresy's shipped from Canada to Holland.2.gif Don't ever forget how lucky you guys are being so close to the source. I would drive for days if I could pick up some Belle's for a reasonable 2nd hand price. To ship those is more expensive than to buy a ship.2.gif Greetings, Tim.

Tim,

I just finished cataloging the classical collection. To put them up on here would mean doing that for the rock collection which is at least twice the size.

I'm not sure I have the energy - but we will see next week - I am not in a tearing hurry to do anything.

Good thought though.

Paul,

According the the guy the thing is built like a brick outhouse and you could run it 24*7 for 5 years...of course he is trying to make a sale.