Heads up for those buying high value items on line...

maxg

I just found out about a site - www.escrow.com that may well be worth using if you are going to buy high value items and are worried about the reliability of the supplier.

From what I can see you can use this service to buy anything, although I have to stress I have not used it personally.

Works as follows:

1. Agree terms of purchase.

2. You pay Escrow and they confirm receipt of payment to supplier.

3. Supplier sends goods.

4. You accept goods within a given period of time.

5. They pay supplier.

I am seriously hoping these guys are the real deal. Tony just paid a lawyer in Canada this way.

I'll let you know how it works out - but this does seem to be the missing link in internet trading.

All ususal disclaimers - I am not associated in any way with this company...

Hmmm, Max, it is good to see you made this post after April first! Then again, considering your stock phrase on the bottom of your current posts... who can we trust? 2.gif -HornEd

PS: I am not familiar with a Greek April Fool's custom like I have found in Western Europe or the USA. Any comment?

Yes - we have April Fool's here.

FWIW I think this site is a damn good idea. Escrow agreements are used all the time in business (often with software code for purchased packages when you are not sure of the future of the developer).

If they are above board (they appear to be so from the limited look I took) then this is a good thing IMHO.

Escrow is a good idea but there have been a number of scams reported. That is not to imply that the company you mention is in any way involved in unscrupulous behaviour but simply to suggest that anyone thinking of going that route should check out an escrow company before sending any funds.

I like escrowl soup! (Italian wedding soup to some of you)

Seriously a seller willing to take escrow should be a legit seller. If the seller won't take escrow or a form of payment that can be cancelled for misrepresentation (CC), don't buy if you can't drive to see the merchandise and pay for it.

Rick

What if a buyer receives the merchandise, and it is not acceptable? I'd assume the money stays tied up in escrow until the merchandise is returned? This is probably answered on the website, eh?

I used eBay's escrow the first time I bought anything there. I have a lot of old Superbeta tapes, and my VCR died. I didn't want to try a used machine, and new Superbetas are scarce.

I found a new one (a Sony)with only a few bids, so I entered my "max. secret" bid with ~2 days to go. I *really* wanted this machine, so I entered a pretty high bid. Near the end of the auction someone started running the bids way up-right up just past mine. Then, with only a few minutes left, he retracted them. The auction ended with me winning, but right near my mex. bid. Naturally I smelled a rat. The seller (Vietnamese guy in CA) wanted his $$$ quickly. I stalled, trying to get a response from eBay (right!). Did some detective work and found that the retractor had just recently used that eBay name. His old one was almost identical to the sellers! Finally got eBay to get involved-said they warned the seller and banned the retracter. We agreed on a compromise price, and I used escrow because I obviously didn't trust the bas*&$#. The VCR was brand new and is still working fine.