Different pin arrangement on same 6V6GT tube types...

jt1stcav

If this wasn't viewed in my last thread, then I have a question for you tube experts out there...

As my bro was tube rolling his new Dared VP-16 integrated, he noticed that the NOS '50s Philco 6V6GT output tubes had 7 pins per tube, as opposed to the 6 pin arrangement on the newer Chinese military 6V6GT tubes. Obviously, the Philcos work just as well as the newer 6V6s (and sound much smoother), but why is there a difference in the pin count for the same tube type (octal-based)? Should he be using only 6 pin 6V6 output tubes for this particular amp, or does the pin arrangement not matter as long as he's using the correct tube type (and not substitutions)?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Excuse my tube ignorance (I'm new and tryin' to learn), but what does your statement mean? Are there two versions of the same type (6V6), and can a set of matched 6 pin or 7 pin 6V6s be used within a certain topology? I'm guessing each pin number represents a thin wire attached to a certain part of the tube anatomy...What I'm trying to say is I just wanna know for certain that it's safe to use either 6 or 7 pin 6V6 on this particular amp.

Am I making any sense?