So I was at the flea market today...

bdc

and I picked up a Scott 260 Solid State amplifier for $26. Are these any good? How do these compare to the HK 430? They also had an HK630 there, but they were asking $50 for it. Oh and there was a pair of MINT KG4s being sold for $100. I didn't have $100 on me, so I was about to go to the bank. BUT some guy walked in and handed him a bill for it. Pissed me off.

Good find. The flea markets in your area surely have a good selection IMO. Here in central Florida, all I see is junk, literally! If it's something old, it's usually trashed and in deplorable condition. If there is something of interest in decent condition, the asking price is through the roof! And the rest is just pure junk that's only fit for the landfill.

My folks go antique shopping all the time throughout the many flea markets in New England, NY, and PA (mostly for tube radios), and have a field day buying radios in good condition for as little as $5.00 (which he fully restores and sells on eBay for triple the amount, sometimes more)! The few flea markets I've been to in the area here have virtually nothing, and the very few radios I've spotted were either too far gone, and way too expensive (some were between $35 to over $100, and all they'd be good for is for parts).

Guess I've never been at the right place at the right time...

Well, I went back to the flea market after I posted here and picked up two more receivers. A Pioneer SX-720 and the HK630. Here's the pics.

scott260.jpg

hk630.jpg

sx720.jpg

and, of course, the HK430 that I've been using...

hk430.jpg

I got the Scott for $24, the Pioneer for $50, and the HK630 for $44. Think I got pretty good deals? Sorry for all the pics, those of you with slower connections. The Pioneer and the HK seem to work perfectly fine. I can't test the Scott since it's missing the main power fuse along with the cap that goes over it. And, on a sidenote, please ignore that turntable. I do NOT use that.

----------------

On 4/4/2004 1:16:16 AM bdc wrote:

..."please ignore that turntable. I do NOT use that."

----------------

And for good reason, too! Considered it ignored.

Good luck with the rest!

Nice finds.

I am lucky to live in NewEngland were we have dumps that have a section for leaving rerusable stuff.

My favorit dump has a clean space about 300 feet by 50 that they let pepole drop good stuff off.

Mant pepole leave with more stuff than they discarded.

The best part about it is the high amount of good electronics and the town once had one of the oldest and bigest klipsch delears in the usa.

My find so far from free dump..

SCOTT 299b with cabnet working near mint

SCOTT 220 mono amp working (fond a mate thats one seril # off on ebay)

MCINTOSH first preamp from 49 i think works

EV 3 way speakers with t35 twetter real nice speakers with low bass the Hearsy.

Deltalab digital delay works

PHASE LINEAR 400 with cabnet dead mint.still waiting for some kilpsch speakers I just wish I went ther more than once a year.

Ow i did find a 58 khorn style D (my first one) in a local antique store for 150.

It always better when it free!

Here in town it's like the desert scene from Space Balls where one of the African-American soldiers is asked whether they found Princess Vespa yet...you see, they're "combing the desert" as instructed, but with a giant afro pick. His response is, "We ain't found $hit"!7.gif

Well...that's the way the flea markets are in this town...we always walk away empty handed with looks of distaste on our faces, exclaiming, "We ain't found $hit"!

Guess I need to move up to CT where my folks are...it's a virtual goldmine up there!