Good 8" woofer to match with Lascala mid/tweet

Johnny TN

Ok dont say the ones in the academy...looking for other opinions..not necessary Klipsch..I want to add 2 8" woofer to my center channel plans of :

AA Crossover

K55V / K400 midhorn

K77 horn tweeter

Electromagnetically shielded a plus, but not 100% necessary..

TIA,

Johnny

What's wrong with the ones from the Academy? Last time I checked, you could still get them from Klipsch.

FWIW I considered building something similar some time ago. My choice in 8" would be a pair of old alnico magnet EV SP8b or University C8W. Just be aware that these are not particularly high power speakers. And, of course, you will have to do something to match the output levels of the woofers to the rest of the system.

If you would consider 10" woofers, CTS made some decent ones with large alnico magnets in the early 70s. Might be more difficult to find than the 8" woofers I mentioned above.

And if space is not a issue, a pair of the 12" alnico magnet woofers used in the Heresy up to the mid 70s would make a killer center.

Take two Eminence beta 10b ( 16 ohm ) and wire in parallel you get an 8 ohm impedance and has a high enough sensitivity. ( 101 db sensitivity with 2 in parallel )

They are 10" though, if you want 8", the beta 8" is only available in the 8 ohm version, so if you wire these in parallel, you get a 4 ohm load for the crossover. This requires changing out some values of inductor and capacitors to get the same crossover point for a 4 ohm speaker, as you would with the 8 ohm load on the network.

The Eminence beta 10b sells for $51.47 each at parts express, their # 290-411, and the beta 8 sells for $ 47.06 each # 290-404.

Just ran some numbers in the parts express box program. Looks like 2 beta 8" in a 4.06 cu ft ported enclosure would be quite nice.

Of course you could make a smaller enclosure, but this would be the maximally flat response. The numbers are as follows, 4.06 cu ft enclosure ( internal measurements are 30.97" x 19.14" x 11.83" ) with 4 2" diameter ports 1.83" long. Tuning frequency comes in at 52.17 hz with a theoretical f3 of 45.32 hz.