Should I turn my horn 90 degrees? Benefits? Dangers, etc?

lancestorm

I have 5 RF-3II's for my system. I currently have my center floorstander on it's side, with the horn pretty well lined up right towards the prime viewing spot in the room, although it is about a foot or more higher than where the listener is when sitting. It is not tilted down in any way towards the listening area. Just kinda sits there.

What would be the benefits (and dangers!) of moving that horn 90 degrees? I would think it would lead to better musical dispersion since the floorstander was designed to be standing up, not on its side.

What possible damage could I do to the speaker? I'm worried about the internal wiring becoming tangled or detached if I turn the horn. I'm also not so sure if this will invalidate my warranty.

I would like your guys' opinion on the possible benefits of this change. Your recommendations. Anything!

There should be very little (none actually) issue with the speakers parts and wiring putting the speaker on its side.

The horn is set up for a broader horizonal dispersion when standing upright, therefore, on its side the dispersion will be broader vertically - what this could mean is the listeners off axis left and right may not get the same effect. If your room is set up to where listening positons aren't outside those dispersion boundaries, then you are OK. It will have no effect different for your sweet spot.

As to the woofers - that is a trial and error thing. The lower freqs seem less bothered by the 'beaming' mentioned above, but I can't speak to any baffle considerations that were used in building the speaker.

You could always do the HornEd routine and redistribute the components on the baffle - put the horn in the middle (returned to its horizonal dispersion) and a woofer on each side. Other wise - you may find that on it's side sounds just dandy with no changes.