Hey Moon...

ekbriggs

First of all let me say that i dig your setup man, fantastic job on all parts of your theater (dont know how many times i have visited your site to see both the finished and the step by step pics...motivates me to not always take the easy way out).

I own all HK stuff too and was thinking of picking up a PA4000 as well to power my Center and 2 fronts. However, my setup as far as stacking will be almost identical as yours thus i wanted to ask if you have ever experienced any ventihilation problems with the amp (i noticed it is on the bottom of your stack in your pics)? I have heard people say that HK recievers need alot of room to breath, but my PA 2000 runs pretty cool, esp compared to my 525. Just curious as to what your experiences were. Thanks for any help.

-Eric

Hey... Actually you are looking at old pics. I built a cheezy flexi rack. Geeze, it's not even finished. Oh well..

Anyway, No I never had any problems with my PA4000 when I had my receiver sitting directly on it. HOWEVER, that does not mean that problems would to eventually happen. If it's something you are concerned about, go make some small little blocks to set on the top of your map right where each of of your receivers feet would be. Even something like 2x4 blocks. Paint them black. I would not think you would have to gett real fancy.

I'm glad that my pics have inspired you. I have tones more that I have never posted on my site. Pics from how I built my own ridgid fiberglass for my DIY bass traps, to building my flexirack...

Even though I though I had given consideration to everything, there were things I didn't..

Should have had more hight to each floor riser

Need lighting pointing at the floor so people don't trip and fall

Sound have ran wiring for those lights

Should have ran wiring for lights on the ceiling to point towards the surrounds so people didn't smack thier heads.

Should have installed my seating tighter so I didn't have such a large sweet spot to deal with. However, I was thinking comfort for people.

I hate that big ugle shelf in the back of the room. Thinking about tearing it down and doing something different. It's raining on my parade as far as what kind of rear spaeker I can run because it's too high. plus it's keepig me from being able to make the back of the room one huge broadband bass absorber. Well... Not necessarly keeping me from it, but making it more difficult to deal with.

MOST OF ALL! I wish that room was about 6 feet wider.

See what you started? A complaint list. 9.gif

No worries man, a complaint list is just the stripped down version of a more functional upgrade further down the road. What kinds of problems could you foresee happening to your Pa 4000 further down the road had you left everything the way it was?

Also, in my case it will be in a rack that only has 8" of height to use but is open on all other sides. Given that the amp is 7 5/16" tall i am somewhat concerned about the height of it and proper ventihilation, yet the PA 2000 that i run my mains off of runs quite cool. So do you think i am ok? or should i look into getting another pa 2000 to run my rears and let my 525 run my center?

Thanks again for all of your help and advice man.

-Eric

I personally think you will be fine. As far as what can happen? You are asking the wrong person.. I can only speculate to say it could possibly shut itself off.

If you are worried, look at getting a small fan behind it. It won't take much of a fan either, just enough to move a the hot air out and some cooler air in. Look at how hot PCs get inside. Put your had over your pc were the heat comes out, not much force is it? It's just enough to keep air flowing.

1.gif