Can someone simplify this?

Skidmarks

I hate to ask this kind of a question, but after reading through my manual for the Yam.RXV1400, dealing with all the dif. kinds of listening surround settings, I am hoping someone can simplify this for me if possible.

Fortunatly I have not recieved my front channels yet(any day now), so I have not yet hooked it all up.I am just getting into the HD/HT technology, so when I read about dolby prologic and DTS and neo6 and THX..5.1 ,7.1 lol

Its just mindboggling trying to compute everthing at once. I am trying to run a 5.1 HT for now.

There are now 3 differnt Dolby Pro Logic decodeings. Dolby Pro Logic which was mainly used for VHS taps. Pro Logic takes 2 channel information and spreads it around the 5 speakers. The front 2 are your major action speakers, center would be dioluge and your back your surround info. The other 2 are basicly the same idea but better done. Dolby Digital and DTS are the same way but instead use real 5.1 channel information is used instead of 2 channel. Each channel gets its own information instead of being made up. Neo6 is somewhat like Dolby Pro Logic. It uses 2 channels to make 6 channels instead of 5. THX is basicly Dolby Digital with a cirtifacation saying it will sound this good. THX IMHO may not be the best way to go as even my speaker set up will blow away most if not all THX certified speakers. One reason they are not is because they go below 80 Hz to well. Sorry, I hope I didn't make things worse. Its one of my major hobbies. But anyway, I hope this helps.

CD

----------------

On 4/5/2004 10:27:00 AM Skidmarks wrote:

I hate to ask this kind of a question, but after reading through my manual for the Yam.RXV1400, dealing with all the dif. kinds of listening surround settings, I am hoping someone can simplify this for me if possible.

Fortunatly I have not recieved my front channels yet(any day now), so I have not yet hooked it all up.I am just getting into the HD/HT technology, so when I read about dolby prologic and DTS and neo6 and THX..5.1 ,7.1 lol

Its just mindboggling trying to compute everthing at once. I am trying to run a 5.1 HT for now.

----------------

Skid, dont read too much into this. All you need to ensure is that your speakers are properly set up (channel levels, delay, Bass management). Once you hook everything together you will be playing with all these modes and eventually will pick the one you like most.

I will try to suggest which multichannel modes you will likely be using most assuming you have a 5.1 setup:

- for music - Dolby Prologic II Music or DTS Neo Music (sonicly very similar, personally slightly prefer DDPLII to Neo). Also, depending on your receiver, you might have other modes like 5/7 Channel Stereo (like my Denon offers) which is a nice mode as well.

- for movies - my all time favorite is DTS (whenever a DVD has a DTS track). In all other cases either DDPLII Cinema or DTS Neo CInema will be fine.

Since you dont have rear surround speakers, DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX modes are not applicable (tracks encoded in these two modes will be downmixed to regular DDPLII or DTS Neo respectively).

Also, there are ususally some DSP modes (Hall, Stadium, etc) but I personally almost never use those (exception: when watching an old movie with a mono audio track I turn on Mono DSP mode on my Denon to have the sound coming out of all speakers).

Ok, hopefully I did not help in further confusing you :)

No guys please keep it coming, i mean I am not a complete idiot, lol

I do understand the concepts of surround, but everything you guys have said makes alot of sense. My system is progressive in size , I had to stop here because of funds, but I have just begun.LOL 5.1 for now but soon to be 7.1 or more.

Another question , what about your basic 2 channel listening modes, I was under the impression when you listen to cds you didnt want to use any of the surround features because of cancelation? Just front L/R?