Speaker Placement?

JBP

How do you determine optimum speaker placement?

Are there any rules or mathmematical formulas?

A little background. I'm setting up a HT in the corner of a rather large room. With the lack of walls I can be flexible with laying out the dimensions of the HT. The surround speakers are going to be "flown" and all the wiring has to go in shortly so I'm not going to be able to experiment.

I have roughly 30'x 30' area that I can use. I'm going to have the surround speakers between 4' and 5' off the ground, it's the other dimensions that I'm having trouble with. For example, if I have my front speakers placed 10' apart how should I determine the placment of the rest of the speakers?

I know that isn't worded clearly but I hope I did a good enough job to get my question across.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Yes you can get a mathematical approximation of speaker and listener placement... but there many factors which will affect the actual versus theoretical predictions.

If you want to simply get a feel of room-modes and their distribution, take a look at the simple excel sheet at Dr. Floyd Toole's White Papers at Harman .

If you want alot more detailed placement info, there is software designed to simplify the process... I would suggest you can check out CARA (Computer Aided Room Acoustics) which was reviewed by Secrets of Home Theatre and HiFi .

good luck...

Rob