Dipole surrounds match for KG 4.2

maxspivak

So what are good dipole surrounds to match my vintage KG 4.2's and KG 2.2V center?

Side note: I originally got the RC-3 center, but it didn't match 4.2's well. On the suggestion of the folks here, I found a used 2.2 that matches the 4.2's oh so well!

Right now, the surround duties are handled by a pair of small direct-radiating Infinity's. Since I'm going for a 7.1 setup, I'd like dipoles for the sides.

Thx,

Max

The only DIPOLES that Klipsch made that I know of are the THX KT-DS surrounds.Check the specs.I don't know how they would work with you present speakers,but I know where you can get a new-in-box pair for $349.PM me if interested.

Keith

maxspivak:

Kg 1.2's would be your match. KG 1.5's would be the next best speaker. Ebay has the 1.5's on auction right now.(oiled oak)

I'm going with the 2.2's as surround's because of the two 6" 1/2 driver's instead of one 6" 1/2 you get with the 1.2 or 1.5

Guys, thanks for replies.

talktoKeith, I took a look at the KT-DS (on the speaker db on the main site). The image doesn't *look* like a dipole, unless there is another tweeter and pair of woofers on the other side, which I can't see. The spec talks about *two* tweeters and two woofers, but on the image I can only see a single tweeter. Am I confused???

montigue, thanks for the tip. Although I'm looking for dipoles, maybe I'll pick up the pair of 1.5's as back surrounds.

BTW, there are a number of dipole surrounds in production now (RS-3, SS.5, RS-7). I'm just concerned that as I didn't like how the RC-3 sounded with my 4.2's, similarly the current dipoles won't match either.

Thx,

Max

maxspivak,the pictures of the KT-LCR and the KT-DS are incorrect.The KT-LCR is pictured with the KT-DS specs and vice-versa.The dipoles do have 1-K89K and 1-K1007K

per side.They are true dipoles.The Reference and Synergy surrounds you spoke of are WDST surrounds and not true DIPOLES.The dipoles fire out of phase and would need to be mounted to the sides of your seating position so that you sit in the "null" as the speakers

fire to the front and rear.The WDST surrounds will probably be more forgiving in their positioning and will be less localizable than the monoploes Monty spoke of.Your best bet would be to call someone that really knows what they're talking about before buying.That would be Trey at Klipsch Tech Support.Let me know if I can help.

Keith

PS: BTW montigue,what front L/R speakers are you using with the KG surrounds?

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 07-08-2001 at 08:53 AM