Metal vs composite horns

J.4knee

I have a set of 1983/4 La Scala's and I have been reading a lot about the rope caulk "mods" to the squawker and the consensus seems to be if you have metal horns do it and if you have composite horns don't. I have searched some older threads but have not found a clear description of what a composite horns looks like vs. a metal horn. I believe mine are metal horns but I would like to make sure. Can some on provide me a visual image (picture) or apt descriptions of the difference between a composite and metal horn? Not material differences but actual appearance differences. Thanks!

Jim

You have composite horns, I do in my 84 Cornwalls but metal horns in my 73's. I put dynamat on my composite horns but I also replaced the wire inside at the same time. What I found was the mids was smoother but was it the wire or the dynamat? Does it matter I would do both. The composite may not ring like the metal horns but you would cut down the vibrations in the composite horns. But it can't hurt and for the cost way not try it and see. When I rewired my 84's I only replaced the wire from the crossover to the speakers and the back panel. But on the 73's I also rewired the crossovers since the wire looked a little on the old side and the 84's I bought new and is near mint but I may rewire the crossover in the 84 Cornwalls. If you do your composite horns just do that and tell us what you think.

Jim

JDM described the K401 composite horn to a tee. They have ribbings right in the molded plastic. The K400 Aluminum horn is sand cast and has a pretty rough texture to the outside of the horn and painted black. If you can see the top of the horn, it should have a PWK logo and K400 in the mold too.

IF your LAS are 83 or 84, they will have the Aluminum K400 horn. The Heresy and Cornwall switched to composite in the early 80's, the LAS and Khorn switched to composite in the early 90's.

JM

Thanks,

They seemed to me to be metal (Aluminum) horns but I just wanted to make sure. The rope caulk idea sounds interesting I will probably try it when I do the ALK xover mod. One speaker at a time to A/B it for effectiveness.