RF7 vs KSP400

nuclearay

I bought 7-KSP300's in 2001 (around the date I found this forum and registered). I found a new KSP-C6 center at a dealer. I felt some sympathy for a member here and told him of the C-6. He bought it. After a year of looking I found another demo C-6 out of state and drove there and picked it up after paying $85 more than the local one would have cost. I then looked for 2 weeks every day for a pair of KSP-S6 surrounds. I found and bought 5 pair. I gave them away and sold a pair to a member here for what I paid for them.

I have been looking for a pair of KSP 400's within driving range of my home for about 3 years. As I stated above, I found a dealer with 3 pair, 2 new in box. All more than I was willing to pay.

Last Thursday night I was checking Audiogon when I saw the ad for the KSP 400's in Atlanta. There had not been many hits when I saw the ad. I e-mailed the seller. I did not hear from him until Monday morning. He said a person that had responded before myself wanted them shipped to California. After checking he decided shipping would not be worthwhile. His ad stated 3 times that the speakers were for pick up only. He contacted me.

I made arrangements to go to audition the speakers on Wedneday. My cell phone rang as I crossed the Alabama/Georgia state line. It was the seller. He told me that as he was attempting to hand truck the speakers downstairs he lost control of the hand trucks. I asked if he had been drinking. The seller said the speakers had some cosmetic damage. I asked about the damage and he described their condition. I decide to audition them anyway.

Arrived at the sellers home and met and spoke to him for a while. Nice guy. Lots of nice equipment. Went inside and saw the speaker/truck on the stair landing. The wall suffered more damage than the speaker cabinets. Klipsch builds tough cabinets. There was a piece of veneer at the top left corner that was pealed away from the MDF. Unlike the crushed MDF on the Cornwalls in Nashville that I passed up recently, I felt that this could be repaired. There was a few small nicks on the lower front vinyl face that I felt could be repaired also. Overall, nothing that could not be repaired with a little glue/clamps/touch up paint, I felt. The other speaker was in very good condition.

After auditioning the speakers I decided that I would not take them. The seller had already mentioned that he was willing to take much less. The seller is about to move out west and wanted to get rid of them. He did not use the speakers. He then said for me to just take them with me. After about 30 minutes I had he up to taking $400. We BOTH decided we could feel good about that price.

We boxed them up and I drove home.

Today I unboxed the speakers and cleaned them up. They look nice, and I'm picky. Got to do a little touch up work and they'll be fine. Pulled the bamboo impregnated Technics receiver out of the box along with a CD player and wired them all up in the garage. They sound great. I still think the Synergy Premiere's are some of the best sounding speakers that Klipsch ever built. I'm happy with them.

Keith

----------------

On 4/22/2004 10:11:03 PM GRB wrote:

Keith, are you going to set the 400's up as fronts in your HT? If so, I would be curious to hear what you think of them in that configuration. By the way, you did steal those puppies.
2.gif

----------------

That is correct sir. I'm not sure how much of an improvement they might be, but I'll find out in the next couple of days. They did sound good in the garage though.2.gif

Keith

What a phat deal9.gif

Next comes the phat sound10.gif

I know you will enjoy them as much as I would have and from the sounds of things you have been waiting a tic longer than I.

After much trepidation I decided not to take a road trip to by the RF7s, broke down, and bought local. Time constraints wouldn't allow a road trip for weeks and I wanted my sound NOW.

When you get settled in, turn things up so I can get a listen.

• 6 months later...

T2K,

That was one hell of a deal! I thought my local purchase for a 6 month old set of 400's for $750 was a steal a few years back. After you found the new C6 for me I have bought a few pairs of S6's since then and now have the a 6.1 system with a pair of S6's and one C6 for a rear center. I do have another C6 to make a 7.1 setup when i have the room in a new house.

How do you have the 400's setup for inputs?

Dave