help woth hookup

JAJ88

Hi I am new to this board...I need some amjor help with hooking up my stereo...My brother gave me his old stereo (lucky me), however, i do need to buy some new cables. If i give you a list of my equipment, could someone pleas post a list of all the cables i will need and what type is good? RIght now I have the stero hooked up and running.

I have an Adcom Amp and pre-amp, not surround, just 2 channel stereo, they are like 12 years old... I have a panasonic 5 disc changer and a new panasonic 27 inch tv. I want to be able to hook my stereo up to my dvd player and tv so i can listen through my klipsch speakers. I know nothing about this stuff. Keep in mind that my stereo is already hooked up and working fine, so i just need to knwo what additional cables i will need...if it helps, my dvd player has an optical output, but dont know what that means....any help is greatly appreciated. if you need me to clarify further, let me know

Basically i need to know, in plain english how i can be able to use my dvd player for cds and to waqtch dvds in stereo through my klipsch speakers...

Okay I would guess that the Adcom is a integrated so what you need to do is make sure the TV has RCA outs and a way to shut the TV's built in speakers off usually there is aon screen menu for this. You pickup some RCA patch cable from a local Best buy or Radio shack don't go to cheap be spendy and get something that is in the $30 range and long enough to do the job. You simply go from the TV out to a input of your choice on the Adcom. Run speaker wires from the Adcoms speaker terminals to the speakers and make sure you go + to + and - to - or Red to Red and Black to Black .

Fire it up and enjoy !

Craig

so all i have to do is run wires from the tv out and plug into some input on the back of the adcom? what are patch cables? I have those ****ty red white and yellow ones now. You mean get better quality cables, but (the red white and yellow ones?)

Just use some type of control knob on the adcom to turn on the speakers when i want to watch a movie through my klipsch speakers?

so all i have to do is run wires from the tv out and plug into some input on the back of the adcom? what are patch cables? I have those ****ty red white and yellow ones now. You mean get better quality cables, but (the red white and yellow ones?)

Just use some type of control knob on the adcom to turn on the speakers when i want to watch a movie through my klipsch speakers?

so, am i correct in saying that i use the red and white monster cabels running from the dvd player to the adcom receiver/preamp, and then i can use the s-video jack to run from the dvd player into the TV?

Is that it? it seems simple , let me know if i am correct

Thank you for your help