7.1 Speaker setup

Buffalo

I am finishing my basement and set on having Klipsh speakers for my small theatre room. I am looking for suggestions on what speaker matches would work well together, all in-wall or wall mount(except sub-woofer)~ budget 2K - 3K.

Room size L x W - 16 x 14

Front speakers?

Center channel?

Side speakers?

Rear speakers?

Sub woofer(s) two 8" or one 15"

Has anyone have or heard the KPT proffesional series wall mounts?

----------------

On 4/18/2004 5:59:21 PM Buffalo wrote:

I am finishing my basement and set on having Klipsh speakers for my small theatre room. I am looking for suggestions on what speaker matches would work well together, all in-wall or wall mount(except sub-woofer)~ budget 2K - 3K.

Room size L x W - 16 x 14

Front speakers?

Center channel?

Side speakers?

Rear speakers?

Sub woofer(s) two 8" or one 15"

Has anyone have or heard the KPT proffesional series wall mounts?

----------------

Take a look at an RB-35 system. RB-35's, an RC-35 center, RS-35 dipoles OR RB-35 Monopole surrounds, and an RSW-12 sub. That entire system comes in under $2K and will give you maximum bang for the bucks.

You can also think about an RB-75 based system. You could do RB-75's left and right, an RC-75 center, a pair of RS-7 dipole surrounds and a RSW-12 sub. This is a bit above the top point in the budget, but you get the bigger compression drivers and a much better subwoofer. Change the sub in this system to the RS-12 and you are inside your budget range.

Sub wise, the RSW-15 is too much for that space. You will be much better off getting a better 12" sub than trying to tune for lumpy response. The 12" versions are going to get down to 20 where the 8" and 10" versions won't quite get there. The 12's are a good compromise between extension, price and performance in a moderately sized space.

As for how MANY speakers to put in there...

Forget about the sides and forgo the rear center speaker for now. You don't need a 7.1 system in a room that small (the additional speakers are used to fill in for multiple rows of seats and you won't have that!) plus it is better to spend the money on better mains and center than to buy more speakers for a small space.

Spend some money on acoustics which will have a FAR greater impact on the overall sound of the room than will adding more speakers. Wire for that rear center, but don't spend the bucks until the room acoustics and the better mains are in place. You'll be a very happy camper with this system!

Kevin

The Sound Broker

Authorized Klipsch Dealer

Buffalo:

My room is smaller than yours in width: 10.5W x 19L x 7H, and I am having excellent results with the following Klipsch Reference 7.1 setup:

Screen Wall

--------------------------------

RF7 RC7 RF7

-----SEATING---------

RS7 RS7

RSW15

RCW5 RCW5

--------------------------------

Check out my web site below for more info. -Picky 2.gif

I have an even smaller room. 10 by 11

--------------------------

RF-7 RF-7 RF-7 RSW-15

RF-3II----bed---------RF-3II

RS-3II----bed---------RS-3II

----------------------------

My only problem I see with this room is my RSW-15 is hard to get right, but go fig, squares are bad for home theater.

CD