GaryMD, Craig, Mark III, Cornwall, Santiagos, etc

Klipschfoot

Today I had the opportunity to visit Gary at his house of amazing sound. What a lucky woman his wife is. If he treats her half as good as his equipment, she must be a grateful person. Seriously.

First we checked out his "cave" rig (my term). Those NOSvalve Dyna Mark IIIs are spectacular in looks, voluminous in sound. Running to his Santiagos, I can only hope that I can get my Valencias to sound that good (after I get an SACD player, my HF-81 overhauled, my room softened, etc., etc., etc.). I listened to my nonSACD version of Babylon Sisters on my 12 year old Denon and it sounds so mechanical in comparison. A few more tracks later, we moved to the audio sanctuary upstairs. My first impression was how huge Cornwalls are. Take my word for it, there is no better looking Cornwall than Gary's Zebras even if that is the first and only time I have ever seen a pair. (I live a sheltered life.)

But good looks have to match brains, right? Okay, maybe not always. But Gary's system has brains, depth, wit, charm and a proud master: his Scott 299b. He is actually playing the Cornwalls with his Scott rather than the Mark IIIs! But there is no doubt that the little Scott can push the Cornwalls and fill the room with a soundstage that I have not heard in any system. Okay, I have not heard or seen a Klipschorn, either.

After hearing some Yes and Moody Blues reissues (Gary and I are both in our forties), my cell phone was ringing with calls and voicemails and it was time to go. Several hours later, returning from an appointment, I still had the sound impressions playing in my head and remembering how good a good system can sound.

Thanks for your hospitality, Gary. Let me know if you ever need help moving that sub moved to lower sanctum. Later, Bro.

Thanks for the kind words. Always fun to meet another forum member. Fred's one hell of a nice guy too. We probably could have talked and listened to music all day (I know I could have). Turns out he lives about 10 minutes from my house so there will be a next time. My new cartridge showed up about an hour after he left. I really wanted him to hear what vinyl sounds like in that system. I guess we'll have other opportunities.

Thanks again for stopping by Fred and we'll do it again soon!

----------------

On 4/20/2004 7:25:38 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Today I had the opportunity to visit Gary at his house of amazing sound. What a lucky woman his wife is. If he treats her half as good as his equipment, she must be a grateful person. Seriously.

----------------

Damn! I sure as hell wished I could've been able to get out of work to come up there. Hopefully there will be a next time. Sounds like a good time was had, plus I'd love to hear some of that tube gear on the Cornwalls.