Connectivity

With the help of $27.00 worth of Radio Shack wires and adapters, I connected my digital cable T.V. box to my 4.1's using y-cords at the sound card. I've checked the connections and all settings, on both T.V. receiver and SB Live! Value card, that I'm aware of, nevertheless, the sound is still weak and there's a fairly significant rolling hiss in the background. Can you help?

Take all the cables, adapters back.

Get 1 brown or tan coaxial digital audio/video rca cable.

Get the digital expansion bracket with the digital s/pdif input for your board.(should cost about what you paid for cables) Here's a selection by Hoontech;

http://www.hoontech.com/english/

or you can sell you live! value for $30 and buy the Hoontech Digital NX board that has the s/pdif in & outs with the basic card.

The best you can get using the stereo adapters is bad stereo. Use the s/pdif's.

The digital audio connection from the back of the cable box gives you 5.1 AC3 this way.

quote:

Originally posted by trachselbj:

With the help of $27.00 worth of Radio Shack wires and adapters, I connected my digital cable T.V. box to my 4.1's using y-cords at the sound card. I've checked the connections and all settings, on both T.V. receiver and SB Live! Value card, that I'm aware of, nevertheless, the sound is still weak and there's a fairly significant rolling hiss in the background. Can you help?

You won't be able to hook the sound card and the TV box both to the speaker inputs at the same time. What happens is the two components start "talking" to each other instead of to the speakers. You will need a switch to do what you want to do.

During my last foray through Walmart (The Shack was closed at 11:00 PM --the nerve!) I saw a three source A/V switch for $30 that looked like it would work. Didn't get the stock number, but I will next time if anyone is interested.

-djf

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665