KG 3.2 question.......

chops

I just aquired these speakers from my other brother a few days ago. They sound great except for the fact they are bright as hell.

Are there any tips or tricks on knocking the tweeter down some? I'm going to pop the grills on later today when I get home from work to see if that helps some, but I doubt it will.

I'm using KimberKable 8TC speaker cables from my Aragon to the Klipsch's. Are those cables known for being overly bright at all? They always sounded fine on my other speakers, but maybe the KG 3.2's are more picky on the cables you use.

Any help will be appreciated! 2.gif

There is no fix for this at all. Popping the grills will only make it worse. You must immediately get rid of them by selling them to me! 9.gif

Really, play with these a bit, and you might find the sweet spot. These do "beam" a bit, so correct placement and toe in for the desired listening position is essential. Once you get them set up right, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

If not, I'll take them off your hands!

Actually, the Kimber 8TC is all copper, 9 gauge copper to be exact.

As for placement, it is not finalized but....

Right now I have them mounted on 17" stands, with the grills in place, and toed in just a tad.

I was wondering if upgrading the internal wiring, or crossover, or both would do the trick at calming these tweeters down some.

Any suggestions?

PM DeanG...he's the forum expert on modifying Klipsch crossovers. He did an excellent job on his RF-7s, and may even give his Klipschorns a tweek as well.2.gif

Also do a search on Odds and Mods Forum and Updating Older Speakers Forum for any crossover/wiring mod tips.

PS - Dean also uses Kimber Kable 8TC, and has no problems that I'm aware of.

Attacking this from another angle, try taking them off the stands and snugging them into the corners somewhat. This will do two things to help balance the sound. It will reinforce the bass acoustically, and also may help to reduce the tweeter's dominance by not pointing it directly at ear level. Also, the stands you have them on may not be helping things if they are not very sturdy or vibration resistant.

Try physical things before electrical. They're cheaper, reversible, and often work.

I guess I should have mentioned this before, but I'm not running the KG 3.2's fullrange. They are crossed over at 90Hz to a pair of DIY dual 15" dipole subwoofers. So getting more bass from them is not a concern. And if I were to place them on the floor in the corners, they would be sitting behind my subs. LOL

If you want to see a pic of my system, check out my "System Profile". MAybe that will give you a good idea what I'm dealing with.

Oh yeah, I have been sitting here listening to these Klipsch's with the grills on and toed further out. I have to admit, it's a great improvement so far. I'll play around some more with placement and toe-in as the night goes on. 9.gif