Using a real subwoofer in a multimedia system?

velociti

Hi

I own a Promedia 4.2 system, and was thinking about adding an SWS for tighter bass in my dorm room next year. However, it's not really for sale anymore...Is it possible to buy a regular sub (Mirage LF-100 in this case) and hook it up to the 4.2 system and my laptop? I'm fairly knowledgeable about stereo equipment, but I've never owned a real sub, so I don't know about all the connections and what not. If not, I'll probably buy the Mirage anyway for my system at home (Sony receiver, Dynaudio speakers). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Hans

Sure you can the sound card is supposed to output line level, which will work without a hitch with a HT sub. There are different ways of handling the x-over and wiring depending what you are after and what your soundcard offers.

Later...

Rob

i wouldnt really recommend it... the ht sub (if it is any good) will definitely overpower the small promedia sats. i have tried it - with an infinity 12" entra two sub.... no good.

i ended up upgrading to a yamaha set of floorstanders and a receiver and gave the promedias to my brother. now, i sold the yamahas and the infinity sub and got axioms and an SVS... eep!! 11.gif