Klipsch not SACD/dvd audio capable

TroyTN

I was thinking of getting new speakers and leaning towards the new Klipsch Reference series RF-7's tower speakers. I plan to get dvd audio and or Sony SACD in the future and I noticed no one makes speakers that cover the frequency range of these formats (except Sony). I have the Denon 5800 which has DACS capable of passing the full range of dvd audio/sacd but all speakers except Sony brand are limted in the upper frequency range. What are your thoughts on this? I have read these new high resolution formats can cause amps to get hot and ruin speakers due to the higher frequencies and 99% of current products out there cannot handle or pass through these full frequencies..

Can someone share with me if they are having any issues in their systems using one of these new formats or is this not an issue at all?

I'm getting the upgrade bug. I have a nice oak pair of Forte II's I need to sell.

Thanks,

------------------

Troy...

Hi Troy,

I, too, have a 5800. I've got Heritage speakers in my system and I think that even these old things are *fully* capable of accurately reproducing anything audible that SACD or DVD-Audio is going to send them.

I had, for a couple of days, a DVD-Audio player but I returned it. I wasn't impressed and I think SACD's gonna win this turf war - but, until I'm a bit more sure, I'll save my money.

The ultra-high-frequency material that SACD is able to send is above the hearing range of most people, but is supposed to provide more realisim and sense of space. I've not seen any reports of speaker damage from this source, so I'd not be too concerned about that. I don't buy the salesman's argument that only Sony speakers will work with these formats. Sony's heavily into SACD, so I'd not be surprised if they're advertising that their speakers are the best for this format. But, I can't accept that there aren't dozens of speaker manufacturers with products that'll blow Sony out of the water. The name Klipsch comes to mind... Smile.gif

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

i would really like to see the specs on the sony speakers they claim can reproduce the full sacd spectrum...

sony speakers generally aren't held in high regard by conoisseurs... or by anyone into audio, really.

what a joke!

oh, and your forte II's... how much?

This message has been edited by Seb on 07-08-2001 at 12:49 PM

I plan to get dvd audio and or Sony SACD in the future and I noticed no one makes speakers that cover the frequency range of these formats (except Sony)

---

TroyTN -

you've got the right idea but for the wrong reasons.

Get the speakers for low distortion and/or for the budget.

Get speakers to build a HT system with. The fronts become the rear.

forget the rest.

by the way - for DVD/CD/SACD the Sony DVP9000ES is an excelent choice. VERY smooth sound and great video image.

take a look at the 9000es here -

http://homepage.mac.com/earlghamner/PhotoAlbum3.html

more on many subjects here -

http://www.AudioAsylum.com/index.html

I had another thought that I'd left out (imagine that!) of my earlier post... Smile.gif

SACD is supposed to, I think, reproduce frequencies up to 50K Hertz or so. Noise and hiss is supposed to be frequency shifted to the upper limits of that range, so that it's above the "audible" spectrum. With this in mind, maybe a speaker that can reproduce the upper limits of SACD isn't really a great idea after all?

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

I just got the Perpetual Technologies DAC and correction engine. Together they make regular CDs into super CDs (or a very very close approximation) and they sound absolutly outstanding on my Heritage Speakers. My dog, however, prefers the Sonys (just kidding).

Just a thought to ponder concerning new "hi-rez" digital formats: most adult males do well to hear 16khz, let alone 20 or 50khz. And yes, since SACD shifts noise out of the audioband in to the ultrasonic region, what could be the benefit of amps and speakers reproducing it???

Also, Sony DOES market some extremely good speakers. These are in their ES series of audio gear. The top of the line SS-M9 was very favorably reviewed in STEREOPHILE a while back. The whole line is designed and built right here in the USofA. Not to be confused with their el cheapo stuff.

------------------

JDMcCall

I knew Sony made very good electronics in their ES line, but speakers?? Wow!

We don't need above 20khz. Under, yes, because with a good sub, you can feel those freqs. But above? Useful for marketing hype and dogs, maybe also to make sure the audible high frequencies are more easily reproduced, or as was said earlier, to shift the hissing to the highest freqs (don't see how it would be done though?)...

Hey Seb,

Here's a cool topic to start a really intense argument. To wit: "Does it make any difference if you have the ability to record and reproduce sounds outside (above) the range of human hearing?"

I've seen at least different opinions.

One: No. You can't hear it, it doesn't matter, even 20kHz is being a bit overly anal.

Two: Yes. We don't percieve sound ONLY with our ears. Everybody accepts the fact that you can feel subharmonics (frequencies below 20Hz)... why is it such a stretch to think that we can feel, or sense in other ways, such a bone conduction, frequencies above the audible threshold? Some studies using PET and MRI scanning technology, watching brain activity when subjects were presented with a high frequency stimulus, showed an obvious response to sounds that were well above the 20kHz range.

Three: Yes. Not because we hear the frequencies above 20kHz directly, but because they modulate sounds WITHIN the audible frequency range, subtlely altering the sound we CAN hear. Their absense is noticeable because this modulation is part of the "natural" sound we hear when we're not listening to bandwidth-restricted reproduction.

Me, I dunno, I've never had a system that could produce frequencies that high. The Tannoy supertweeter's've certainly garnered quite a following though...

check out this link ( http://www.tannoy.com/product.cfm?ID=97 ) for a speaker system with a specified response of: 30Hz - 54kHz, -6dB usable output to 100kHz

Eek.gif

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning towards the RF-7's. Now I just need to find a great price on the net. $1500 is the lowest I could find so far.

I also need to sell my Forte II's. My guess is locally since it probably costs $100 each to ship these things..

Troy

I have my SCD-777ES Sony SACD player set to custom switch which allows all frequencies to 100kHz to pass. I use Cary tube amps driving my La Scalas. There is no problem here, just the closest digital to an analog signal into my amps and speakers that's currently available. Super Audio CD is the current winner both in sound quality and software. Try it, you'll love it but beware. Your Redbook CD's will never sound the same after hearing DSD. Cymbals will sound like cymbals instead of thieves breaking your windows to steal you stereo.

drobo