DVD playa sub-out fixed at 120 hz. why???

evilfrito

I have a sony sacd/dvd player. After connecting a sub it sounded kinda funny, I could sometimes hear faint voices coming out or directional sounds coming out of my sub, then I looked in the manual and found out that the LFE is fixed at 120 hz. Why the heck would it be fixed at 120?? I would think 70-80 would be better suited for any application (music, movies, etc). Since sound is directional over 80 or 90 hz ( i think) it will just throw your system off, as some sounds will sound like they are coming from a box. Sorry to be totally random here- just had to fuss about my sony dvd player once. Maybe I could send it in to them and they could fix it to 80 hz for me:) yeah right.. Later.

My first guess would be WAF factor. How does that work in? Well, since small speakers are all the rage when it comes to WAF for a lot of people, and because those small sats can't pull that much (read: any) bass, they set their crossover high to compensate. If they didn't, a lot more people would get the Bo$e experiance (a missing frequency range... although for a lot less money). 2.gif