Blown KV-3 Center, what are my options?

sfoltz

I've been a Klipsch owner for over 10 years and never knew about this forum (never had a problem before 9.gif )! What a great asset. Now to my problem:

I believe I must have overdriven my KV-3 center speaker. Neither midrange woofer is working and they make a slight crunching sound when you push on the cones. The tweeter does work. I inspected the crossover and I saw no obviously burned components (I'm no tech though). Given its age, is this speaker worth fixing? If the speaker is worth fixing, any hints on further trouble shooting?

If its not worth fixing, what should I consider as a replacement? I'm not in the market to upgrade my whole system so I want something that would blend well with my mains. My current L & R fronts are KG-3.5's.

Thanks for any input.

Call 1-800-KLIPSCH and talk to the Parts department about replacing the woofers. I think everyone will agree that it is definitely worth fixing! And I seriously doubt you hurt the crossover. You really won't find a better center speaker for the KG3.5s unless you make one yourself (by modifying a lone KG3.5). Just to be clear, nothing Klipsch makes now will match better than what you are using. You just need to set the KV-3 to "small" so you don't blow the woofers again.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have received replacement costs for the 2 woofers and am leaning towards the repair route.

Gil,

Just to clarify, when you say "cost of replacement" you meant the entire driver and not just the voice coil? Once a driver is blown you have to replace it and it can't be fixed, correct? Sorry if this is an inane question, but I'm a total newbie to speaker construction.

Thanks.

Scott,

Sorry I caused some confusion. No, you can't just buy a new voice coil and replace it on your own at home.

The voice coil is the little winding of wire in the driver which sits in a narrow gap of the magnet structure. Often, when it gets destoyed by overdriving, the shreds cause mechanical binding. It is a classic mechanical sign that something is (nay - was) very, very wrong. Pretty much a post mordem situation.

In some situations the woofer as a whole can be sent out to a shop and they rebuild the voice coil with major surgery. This is sometimes called "recone-ing." They often don't have to replace the whole cone of the diaphragm, just the voice coil and the "former" which it is wound upon. But such is the argot.

It is very labor intensive and requires a lot of expertise.

The choice of whether to do this sort of thing depends on whether the the cost of new woofer, as a whole, is less expensive. Sometimes there are no replacement woofers as a whole.

But. You should consider the cost of the two units. If you got to the crossover, obvously your level of skill is such that you can change out the mini woofers, if they're available from Klipsch.

Naturally we don't know what caused this break down. As suggested above, it might have been from not setting the center to small.

Gil