Heresy 2s Mods

JJJeffries

Hello Posters:

In my quest for the best possible sound for the 2s I am doing an ongoing mod. Or as father Klipsch used to say to me you are a trimmer and a tweaker.

When I owned Dahlquist DQ 20i's they were noted for there inner detail in the mids. That came about by using the famous Scan Speak 5' mid. Sexy mids.

I sold the Dahlquists and went with a pair of Heresy 2s. What I lost was the Scan Speak inner detail.

I added many different mods to bring back the inner detailing. Even came to own Murata Super Tweeters that opened up everything.

$1854 is a bit much to spend. I traded a complete Stan Kenton LP collection for them. I still have another complete set of Kenton LPs so no loss. It was an investment thing.

In today's mail I received a pair of Gemini super tweeters 1,000hz to 20,000hz with 100db @1w/1m. They are extremely sweet.

Findings: To keep the cost down go with the Gemini Super Tweeters. If you want the extreme go with the Murarta ST.

On to the amp section: I have always owned SS. Have a pair of Monarchy SM 70 Pros running the 2s right now. Liquid and airy sound.

Wednesday I will have a Jolida 502B in the house. Now I don't know where you get your Heresy 2s. But they don't go out to 20k. They drop off at 17,000hz. That is why I added the added horns.

I will do a comparison of the Monarchy amps and Jolida and will give you an honest opinion.

Having been a broadcaster and also music person...play trombone...baritone sax...theatre pipe organ...sing...direct choirs...I have the ears and feel for the best taste in sound.

Back to trimming and tweaking. LOL!

Best,

Craig

Yep JJ - 17Khz is about it - I would go so far as to say the drop off starts hard at 16khz. Most here are after the mids and blend with the HF with a Heresy (and the flexibility the smaller box offers in placement). I may put a 2404h (JBL) that I have laying around to see if there is noticable change for the better as well.

Welcome to the Klipsch clan.

----------------

On 4/26/2004 3:17:56 PM JJJeffries wrote:

When I owned Dahlquist DQ 20i's they were noted for there inner detail in the mids. That came about by using the famous Scan Speak 5' mid. Sexy mids.

----------------

Craig,

I loved the Dahlquist sound (DQs only; the M-series didn't have the same magic). The DQ20s were great. I had the DQ12s for a while, before the inevitable upgrade.

I've toyed with the idea of making a separate bass cabinet for my Heresy IIs and mounting the horns on a slab of wood a la Dahlquist & Alon. I'm surprised no one else has tried that round here.

Jeff

Jeff:

I went so far as to build two enclosures for the Scan Speak mid and tweeter and have a toggle to add or subtract them from the sound mix with the Heresy 2s.

The sound is airy and warm and I now have my inner detailed sound back along with the punch and attack of the horns.

Rome wasn't built in a day...nor was my trim and tweak with the Scan Speaks. Yet, it was well worth it.

Best,

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I still think the best mod I ever did to my Heresy 1s were to purchase MIT Terminator 2 biwire speaker wires, route the lower octave wires to the bass input of each of my RP-3s and then route the high octave wires to the full rage of my heresys. Removes the bass notes that the heresys distort or don't play and adds some low mid reinforcement. I do miss out on the little bit of upper frequency provided by the tweeters and crossover of the RP-3, but I gain the full sound of the Heresys and their horns (instead of the slightly more point source sound of the RP-3s). Higher volume levels do require some adjusting of the relationship between the bass of the RP-3s and the Heresys though, so there's still some improvement to be made via a crossover.