KG 3.2 vs KG 5.5......

chops

I was just wanting to know what your opinion is on the difference between these two speakers. I'm not looking for things like how much louder one is, or how much lower it can go, because they will only be playing down to 90Hz.

My main concern is the difference in the midrange and treble. My friend has a pair of the KG 5.2s, and they sound pretty darn good eventhough he doesn't have them set up properly.

I would imagine the midrange on the 5.5s would be a little fuller sounding, and from what I can tell of my friend's 5.2s, that TracTrix horn tweeter sounds alot smoother and sweeter than my 3.2s.

Any thoughts on this?! 1.gif

This is a first, I may actually be qualified to answer this question in a technical sense because I own 3.5's and 5.2's which are pretty close to what your comparing.. First the tractix horn is a smidge smoother then the older kg horns so you will get a little better rolloff in the 5.5's. This will fill in the mids. However, the 5.2's you listenend to have a large passive woofer, while the 5.5's have two active woofers. The difference will be most noticable in the basss. I would suspect that going to the 5.5's will get you equall detail in sound, a less raspy high, more solid mids and active bass. These will be rock and roll machines and a little less satisfying thaen the 5.2's you heard in softer music or jazz. Everbody who owns 5.5's in this forum loves them. It's definetly a worthwhile upgrade.

IMO with the two active woofers they will be just a bit less smooth, an atribute I often associate with jazz, but again you should see a big improvement in all types of music over your 3.2's. Let's us hear your own views/analysis once you've have them up and running. By the way, may not be same for 5.5's but my 5.2's work best not towed in, seven feet apart in placement, and listening position two feet from back of wall.

YAAAAA-HHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Guess what guys/gals?! Tomorrow, I'll be the very proud "parent" of a mint pair of black KG 5.5s!

My bro "jt1stcav" and I will be going to meet this swell guy tomorrow afternoon at a halfway point in Tampa to pick them up.

I got these things at such a great deal, too. I actually couldn't believe it when he called me back today and said it was a go!

I'll take some pics of them and post them when we get them home and hooked up. 9.gif

Pics ok but I would be very interested in haring how much better, if that's the case, that they sound compared to the 3.2's. You'll hve to pry the 3.5's from my cold dead hands but to me the 5.2's are definetly better!

----------------

On 5/1/2004 6:39:42 PM bkrop wrote:

I think that smooth flared exponential horns and stepped tractix horns don't blend smoothly with out lots of equilization, but hey, I could be wrong.

----------------

Ummm....... nevermind.