Sub in floor?

JBP

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could build an infinite baffle system using an adjoining room, basement, or attic. Tom nousaine uses an infinite bafffle subwoofer, that vents through the floor joists, featured in the June 1999 issue of Sound and Vision.

8, 15" diameter long stroke drivers from TC Sounds, and a Crown Macro reference 800 wpc amplifier deliver bass that measures flat 15 hz to 62 hz. Peaks of 125 db were measured during testing, with a few more braces inside the manifold, yielded over 129 db on peaks.

His goal when starting the project was a minimum of 120 db with low distortion down to 16 hz and a minimum of 105 db at 10 hz. Keep in mind that this is a very large 7500 cubic foot room. 6.gif There is no replacement for displacement!

There are a few similar systems shown on the internet, you can do a google on " twelve dancing shiva's". I have attached a few pictures of the shiva project.

Thanks for all the input.

That infinite baffle system looks wild, but is way beyond what I had in mind. I was really just trying to figure out a way to make the floor rumble, something similar to the effect of using "bass shakers", just a little more powerful.

I was told that using subs in the floor in addition to box subs would create a "muddy" sound and cancellation problems, so I have pretty much given up on the idea. Thanks again.