B4 Plus & Carver M500T??

reactor444

Will I harm my B4 Plus if I temporarily power it with a Carver M500T?? The reason I ask is that I don't believe the Carver bridges at 4ohm's..I won't have a proper amp for a couple of weeks and I have the Carver lying around not being used....

Thanks

AH

If the Carver is not capable of driving a 4 Ohms load bridged,in this case use ONE channel.

I do not remember the specs on your Carver,just use one channel should be plenty...while you wait for a better amp for the task.

Ear

I have tried both one channel and in bridged mode. When in one channel it really has no impact on the B4, but in bridged it gives the B4 some bounce..If indeed when I bridge the amp, it's working at 8ohms, will this cause harm to the sub..I am not worried about the amp but am concerned about damaging the B4....The amp has been overworked before and before anything serious happens, it's fuse blows....

Maybe..I just don't know anything about amps, hence me driving my K-Horns with my Denon 5800....There just seems to be some concern about using a 8ohm rated amp with a 4ohm loaded speaker..Is the concern for the amp or the speaker..I am really not worried about the amp, but the new SVS B4 is another story..If no harm is posed to the B4, then I will use the Carver until the new amp arrives...

----------------

On 5/4/2004 4:16:54 PM reactor444 wrote:

Ear

I have tried both one channel and in bridged mode. When in one channel it really has no impact on the B4, but in bridged it gives the B4 some bounce..If indeed when I bridge the amp, it's working at 8ohms, will this cause harm to the sub..I am not worried about the amp but am concerned about damaging the B4....The amp has been overworked before and before anything serious happens, it's fuse blows....

----------------

No harm can be caused to the sub unless the amp is clipping or you are overdriving the amp hard.And the amp does not decide the load of the B4-Plus,it will work with the load the subwoofers VC present it with.

If the amp does not overheat and no overdrive lights are on then you should be fine.

I had a Carver TFM-75...now this is a serious subwoofer amp(1000W RMS /per channel,each channel has its separate section and power cord)

The Carver M500T runs on ±80V on the top tier. It uses MJ15015/16 outputs rated at 15A.

Anything less than 5 ohms in stereo is taxing the amplifier.

They are VERY difficult/expensive to repair.