Help me choose a new receiver!

cyclones22

I don't think separates are out of your range at all if 5.1 fills your needs, and you're willing to look at the used gear market.

An Acurus Act III with upgraded bass management can be had for around $500 these days, if you're patient. Prices on used HT gear will likely drop like a stone over the summer months. You can probably find one for that or possibly less. Its a GREAT unit for HT and for 2 channel listening.

That leaves $500 left over for a 5 channel amp. Since Klipsch don't need much power to operate, you can likely find a Parasound amp (model number escapes me right now) that is 5 channels for less than $500. Or, you can pick up a couple of older Adcom 535 or 545's, and run separate amps for front, center and rear channels. You could easilty bag 3 Adcom 535's for less than $500.

I use a 535 to bi amp my center channel, and its great. I've got a 555 running the front channels, and the receiver drives the rear channels. I may look to swap out my receiver at some point for a separate pre/pro. If I do, I'll seach out another 535 or 545 for the rears.