Poll, How many are using balanced XLR cables between amp & pre amp

the plummer

----------------

On 5/9/2004 5:36:57 PM the plummer wrote:

Nicholtl,

How are you using XLR's to your speakers. Aren't they high level output and require good speaker wire to drive the magnets.

----------------

Sorry if I was unclear. The XLR's go between the amp and preamp. I use regular speaker wire from the amps to the speakers.

----------------

On 5/9/2004 10:44:18 AM the plummer wrote:

WOW!!! What a difference. This was one of the best things to reduce hiss that I have ever tried. I can now throttle up to about 80 - 85% volume with NO audible hiss.

I can't imagine how the $100 cables can make any more improvement.

----------------

The performance difference is not necessarily a function of the cables. If the Sunfire is actually a fully balanced design, then the signal out of the balanced XLR jacks should have a 6 db lower noise floor. This is a benefit of common mode rejection, where the signal is amplified by two identical gain blocks and then any differences are "rejected" as errors.

In fact, if the unbalanced (RCA) outputs are derived using some cheapo op amp, then the XLR outputs may just be that much better in every way. I had a Forte 40 preamp and 6 amp. Both had XLR connections, but they were not fully balanced. The balanced connection was significantly less musical, at least in my opinion.

The XLR cables are probably not doing anything better than you're old RCA cables, assuming they are shielded and the cables weren't VERY long.

It seems like the XLR concept is suddenly becoming fashionable on processors. The big question is whether they are probperly implemented or just window dressing. Sounds like Sunfire is doing it right.

Jeff

Lurch:

You are exactly right. Further review of the owners manual from Sunfire states exactly what you said about the amp reading the signals and rejecting them if they are too similar (as I understand this concept). The difference in the XLR and RCA in this situation is incredible.

After reading the posts from several other Audiopheliacs I have now come to the conclusion that even though I am only using about 6' of cable with either the XLR or the RCA on my main amp, I am now in search of a powered subwoofer that uses the same XLR connection, as It will be located a much greater distance from the main componants.

I have visited Sunfire's web site and I am going to take a serious comparision between the best that Klipsch currently has to offer and Sunfire's due to the XLR connections, by the way I will also make sure they are used correctly. I believe that I probably don't have to concern myself with matching timbre due to the extremely low frequencies that I am seeking to achieve.

Thanks for the help, Now can anyone please help me with this goofy SB Audigy 2 that I keep complaining about. (I know you have to be smarter than the equipment).

See ya.

----------------

On 5/10/2004 10:31:30 PM the plummer wrote:

After reading the posts from several other Audiopheliacs I have now come to the conclusion that even though I am only using about 6' of cable with either the XLR or the RCA on my main amp, I am now in search of a powered subwoofer that uses the same XLR connection, as It will be located a much greater distance from the main componants.

----------------

My REL Storm III subwoofer has a balanced XLR connection on it. If and when I eventually upgrade to a pre-pro with such a connection, I may use that for the sub, mostly because of the longer distance.

A very musical subwoofer in my opinion, with very clean and accurate bass, plus it does seem to hold its own when it comes to movies, although I would like more slam out of it, though. But these things are not cheap 6.gif

----------------

On 5/10/2004 10:31:30 PM the plummer wrote:

----------------

Actually, with a sub, the balanced connectors probably won't make a difference so don't let that be the deciding factor. The vast overwhelming majority of powered subs I know of do not use a true differential input stage, regardless of whether there is an XLR input there or not. Those who have experienced less noise with an XLR cable with a sub are probably experiencing the better shielding...the same thing can be achieved by using a better shielded RCA. The only exception to the rule are good passive subs (like the PMC's) where you run an offboard amp that has a true balanced differential input stage. It is one reason most pro setups run passive subs, it allows them to take advantage of an amp with a true balanced differential input in a signficantly noisy environment.

It *is* important you run a good quality *shielded* cable to the sub to help prevent picking up 60hz hum from external sources. We run 25' or longer runs on all our preamp to amp cables...they are all XLR with the exception of the sub cables (unless we are running the afformentioned PMC passive subs with a Bryston amp) and we have zero noise issues on the subs because we run RCA cables that are inherently quiet (Wireworld, which is very very well shielded and uses a Coax type of construction that rejects noise very very well).

Kevin

The Sound Broker

Of course Lurch is right when he says a difference is not necessarily a function of the cables youre using. In order to take full advantage of what XLR or TRS connectors and cables have to offer you need balanced circuitry at each end of them. I have that, so I use them.