No Rear Sounds on Pro-Logic Mode

Somperson

I got a decent entry-level receiver (Harman Kardon AVR-110) and everything sounds great, well except music on my quintets, which knew what I was getting into when I bought them. But when I watch a movie on my DirecTV dish using analog out and use Pro-logic, or Logic-7 Cinema mode (Logic-7 is Harman Kardon's 5.1 Reproduction from a 2ch source) I barely hear a whisper from the surrounds. This is even when the rear channels are +10 decibels. I just sent the message to HK, but I figured I would ask the masters for a better opinion.

Just for info. I have quintet set w/o sub and HK AVR-110 receiver and RCA Dish with analog out.

Thanks,

JPK

My guess would be that because you purchased an entry-level receiver, the sound processing capabilities are not that great. Because pro logic only has 2 discrete channels of sound, the processor in your receiver processes and virtually sends sound to the other speakers. Digital pro logic does better at this. My Yamaha RX-V1000 ($1000) does a great job at processing pro logic sound both in analogue and digital. When you are dealing with DVDs with 5.1 channels, there is discrete sound for each of the five speakers plus a channel for low frequency effect (LFE-bass-usually sent to the subwoofer). With this, there is a lot of action in all the speakers. That is why people are spending more on rears speakers than they have ever had in the past.

Another cause could be that the TV show or the channel you are watching does not broadcast yet in surround sound. Therefore there would be no sound in the back and from my experience most of the sound is in the center speaker. Again, a higher model receiver would do a better job at processing the non-surround sound virtually sending sound to the other speakers.

It sounds to me like you are already ready to take the next step and upgrade. Hook your satellite dish receiver to your HT receiver digitally.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony TC-WE425 Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Rear (Just upgraded the SS-1)