Cu colored cones

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The break-in period on the Copper Cones is when a half-moon crease appears around the dust cap on the cone (like I saw on one of the woofers in the store). Then the woofer is completely broken in!

Webmaster, could you start a "wild Claims" section? I think we need one here!

Ed

<the aircraft mfg. engr. comes out>

Cast al-you-min-ee-um (as the Brits say) is a rather inexpensive method of forming however, in general terms, castings are typically brittle. Therefore the sonic fatigue cracks that John Warren speaks of on old baskets.

Machined AL parts used to be expensive, but the recent developments in high speed machining have brought costs waaaay down. In fact, we use castings only when there's no way a part can be machined. Machined parts allow you to take advantage of the materials strength properties thereby making a light weight part with no loss in strength.

The old world method of drop hammer or forging is still a viable and cheap process, but requires big forming tools and huge presses. The resultant parts are equal to machined parts.

Not fully versed in plastics, but I can tell you that everytime I get a quote for an injection molded part I gag - big time. Roto-molding is a cool process and is cheaper, but injection molding is just plain expensive due to the very high initial tooling costs. Of course, if you're make 1,000,000 widgets, you can amortize that tooling cost and it's no big deal. But how many 10" woofer baskets will you be making? OTOH, one could make the argument that RF speakers are more enviromentally friendly since you can recycle your woofer baskets. Smile.gif

Tom Adams

Hey John Warren.

Thanks for making me feel like I was back in materials science and advance materials class - NOT!!! Wink.gif

So...looking for a job. We pay big bucks for folks like you (and I'd get a cut too). Smile.gif

On second thought...nah, you'd never get any work done cause we'd be BS'ing too much about important shite in life like Klipsch speakers, copper colored cones and mo'sickles. Biggrin.gif

Tom Adams

Tom-Sorry for going off on a tangent, the

threads on this board are dull, I'm trying to make things a bit more interesting!

When it comes time to technojabber Joe Sixpack (the guy wearing the Mickey Mouse sweatshirt), the marketing folks turns to the jargon of the Materials Scientist (grain boundaries in cables, alumium oxide coatings on cones, sweet sound of Alnico, Polymers, Kevlar, etc). Why, because it sounds convincing.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 08-01-2001 at 05:11 AM