SOUND CITY

mmiles

I know many of you have purchased from this company in the past "when" they where an authorized Klipsch dealer. It appears that either they or Klipsch has dissolved that relationship.

In the past their web site would alway say "retail store only" whenever you searched for price or availability for Klipsch products however just a phone call away was a great price from a then authorized dealer.

Well today this has indeed changed. I am looking for some speakers to complete the HT room as well as a 2-channel system "bonus room". The prices are great but I am also aware of the potential pitfalls of internet shopping. However I feel many of those pitfalls regarding dealer integrity, product condition and product sourcing (I was told these are sealed cartons left over from the dealer days) are not valid in this case. The major one is of course warranty repair in the event you need it.

I'd like to get some opinions from some educated consumers and Klipsch users before pulling the trigger.

Regards,

mm

mmiles: Over the years, I have made many internet purchases of an array of items. I have one philosophy that I follow without fail:

"If the item costs more that I am willing to pay to replace one that has broken, I buy it from a certified, authorized dealer so I may sleep at night knowing I have a full manufacturer's warranty and a single point-of-contact when help is needed. This dealer usually ends up being a local brick-and-mortar store."

All of my Klipsch came from a local authorized dealer over a year ago when the same items were still available on the web from dealers such as you'd metioned for a lot less money. I hope this helps you decide.

I agree with Picky, if the cost from a non-autorized dealer is a great price that in the event that something goes wrong you need to determine what your total loss is. If you are willing to take that as a loss to save a good bot of money than yes. If you are not willing to take that loss than by from an autorized dealer.

My father and I have purchased a lot of equipment from Sound City, and (knock on wood) have never ever had any issues with anything from them. Also if you call the actually store (not internet) they usually will give you a much better deal. Just something to think about.

the deal is simple.

the best price i got "on line" for the speakers was $429 + 30 shipping from "sound distributors" in las vegas. they are a big e-bay outlet with excellent feed back.

i then decided to "call" sound city and was told about they are no longer a dealer. thier price was $398 and included freight. the deal is limited qty. and when they are gone they're gone.

the nearest authorized dealer for the same was $649.

so the spread is $251 from low to high.

i bought from tweeters (like many of us in early 2001) when they were canned as a dealer and got a great deal on in stock items (25+% off). why did that ever happen btw?

regards,

mm

Well i see it as if it's a real klipsch speaker nothing should go wrong. But you are risking getting a knock off. Sound city is great. Been awhile since i dealt with them. My klipsch are pretty reliable some of the best speakers i beat up. KNock on wood. Or I mean mdf