the RSW-15 is just nuts and needs a new PR design.

cdsang

Ok, I was doing my useing alot of bass deals like somtimes I do. Well, I found something a bit interesting. Well, I use to think I was maxing out the RSW-15's active woofer on this one disk that played down to about 20hz. I would hear that clack noise, so i quickly turn it down. Well, to my surprise, I found out I was maxing out the passive radiator while the active was BARLY MOVEING. To my surprise, I felt the active driver and it was as it wasn't even on while the PR is acting all crazy. Made it seem like the PR was the active driver. So the RSW-15s reason for not digging as deep as well is because the PR doesn't have as xmax much as it should. I think Klipsch should redesign the PR system. Either have 2 PRs and keep it tuned to where it is or 1 with more then twice as much Xmax as the oringal. The I think when properly done the RSW-15 could keep up with SVS. I think most people don't realize this because the active woofer useally isn't seen. I kid you not. Try doing a 20 hz test tone at about 95 dB at about 2 feet away and you will notice the PR is really moveing, and then even feel the active(yes it should be safe to do so) as it it barly moveing. I want to see what others think about this.

CD

I don't know the xmax of the PR, but you are correct that the PR should be either larger or extend further that the active driver. As you probably already know, the PR reproduces (is tuned for) a narrow bandwidth just below that of the active driver... so it has to move more air in order to play at the same volume as active one.

One thing that shouldn't be forgotten though, is that at the tuning frequency of the port (or PR), the active driver moves the least. So if your sub is tuned for 20Hz, it is normal that the active driver is pretty immobile.

On the new THX sub, rather than moving to two PR's they simply did away with them and used the slotted port... if the surface area is large enough, it's not a bad compromise.

Rob