First post&question

Ozz

Im sure glad I found this forum cause I am new to quality gear and am still learning much from all your posts. Great info. here and since I just purchased my first real set of quality speakers(RB35fronts,RC35, and Velodyne 10incher).I just can't wait to hear how good they can sound and I'm sure this is the place to find out. My room is 13x10 and I currently have the sub going to the lfe input on my low budget(for now) sony AV amp. I am also using some boston cr65 surrounds (for now). My question is this, My amp's bass management only go's down to 99hz so I set it there and turned my sub all the way up to it's maximum 150hz and then set the speakers to small. The RB35's play down to 45hz so is it time to think about upgrading my amp with a more flexable unit and if so what do you recomend? Or am I fine with this setting for HT application? Also, should the sub set to the lowest setting my center will go or my fronts? Sounds awsome like that but was wondering if there's more there. Thank ahead of time for any and all replys. 1.gif

I have never found a receiver to have a 99 Hz crossosver. I suspect that you meant 90 Hz.

In any case, the only thing that I would change in your case would be the subwoofer input. I would use LFE input that bypasses the subwoofer's crossover. If there is no LFE (bypass) input, then the crossover should be set as high as possible. The purpose is to use only the receiver's crossover.

The crossover should be set twice as high (one octave above)as the lowest frequency your speakers can play. This rule of thumb helps to blend the full range speakers with the subwoofer.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!!!

Bill

Thanks for your quick response Bill. I actually did mean 99hz though and thats were im confused. My sony(DE575amp I think) was originally setup with micro speakers as there called in the sony manuel and the amp has a menu option for normal or micro speakers. But on both of these settings, normal or micro, the bass management will only go down to 99hz and as hi as somewhere in the order of 400. Anyhow im sure of the 99hz number as the lowest it will go. So if this is the case, am I missing out on the full potential of my speakers and if so is a better amp in order? I do have my LFE out on the amp connected to the rca plug of the sub with the sub crossover set to maximum and switched to direct allowing the amp to manage the bass. And thats where I wonder if a more flexable amp would benifit my speakers low range numbers of 45hz. Thankyou very much for your time and please understand that this is all new to me so I will try and not be to much of bother but I just gotta know.4.gif

A "better" amp will always bring more out of your speakers. However, if your only concern right now is the cross-over setting, 100hz isn't too bad with book shelf speakers (I personally change between 60 and 80 hz with RF-7's - still not sure which I prefer). Your mains will go lower, but if you have a decent sub, there's no need to strain the mains down to their lowest limits. Let the sub do the heavy lifting on the low end and free your mains up for better mids and highs. IMHO of course.

Also - if you use Bill's guidelines (cross-over twice as high as the speakers lowest frequency) then your ideal setting is 90 hz - pretty close to what you have.

Bill - I never heard it put that way. Simple and consistent. From there, you can always tweet to preference (if your amp allows). Good hint.

And welcome to the forum.

Ozz,

Welcome to the fray! You'll see from my list below that my equipment is fairly similar to yours. The 99Hz cross-over is not all bad, since as MrMcgoo stated you ideally want to use an octave above the cut-off point to help the blending between the mains and sub. (This would be 90Hz in your case.)

However, there may be much more to gain other than improved bass management by upgrading your receiver. Does your current receiver do 5.1 DD, DTS, etc? If not, that would be a much more beneficial gain than just the bass management improvements. You might also find a receiver which has better tonal qualities and a lower noise floor than what you're currently using.

Keep us posted and keep asking questions.

John

Thankyou everyone! This is good stuff! I have learned much from you guys already, so for now it sounds like im fairly close. I was reading some of your posts last night and made the changes to my setup I have now and WOW! what a change. After following the advice of this forum I was so impressed with my new systems setup I thought that there must be something else im doing wrong, but you have gave me aid and comfort so for now I will leave it as is and begin a search for a better amp down the road. Oh yea, one other question, when I got my new RB35's home I noticed upon closer inspection that the foam that is glued in behind the port is glued in farther back in one of RB35's as your are looking into the port itself. I can't tell a difference as to the performance of the speaker but is this abnormal? Other than that, I can't wait to watch all my movies all over agian for the first time. 1.gif2.gif3.gif4.gif