Is this ok?

wheelman

Ok i am wondering if my computer is at least up to par? I don't know to much about them. OK here it is AMD XP 2400 (1.93hz)processor, Motherboard: SYNTAX SV266A, VIA/ Memory: 2DDR DIMMs& 2SDR DIMMs/ supports DDR266/DDR200/ supports pc133 memory/ AC'97 codec/ USB: 2 USB 2.0/ PS/2 mouse, PS/2 Keyboard, 4 USB, Front Panel Audio Header, Front Panel MIC/Speaker out header, 2 USB headers, Expansion Slots: 5 PCI, 1 AGP (4x), Form Factor: ATX, P4/AMD 400W Multimeda case with Front USB port and power supply, 256 mb DDR Ram, 8MB Diamond Stealth AGP video, 56x cdrom+ 16x CDRW, 3 1/2" Floppy, Logitech Multimedia Keyboard, Microsoft Optical Scrolling Mouse, Win XP Pro, W/updates, Office XP, Norton Anti virus. Gateway monitor and boston speakers epson printer. Is there any cheap upgrades anyone would recomend? I got this for 250 dollars was this a descent deal? Minus monitor, speakers, printer.

----------------

On 5/18/2004 1:12:07 AM wheelman wrote:

256 mb DDR Ram, 8MB Diamond Stealth AGP video,

----------------

Yeah, for $250, I think this was an excellent deal. As was already said, I would seriously upgrade the video card and perhaps drop another 256megs of DDR RAM in.

My own machine is about the same configuration, beside the video (I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128megs), and 512 megs of RAM).

Once you upgrade the video card and put more memory in, it should be able to play most of the current games that are out there. My own machine (which as I stated above, is nearly identical in configuration to what you just got) has no problem running Knights of the Old Republic at full detail and at 1280x1024 resolution.

Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate the info. I should of stated I got this price for a burned up gateway book pc as a trade in to( which was really completely useless to me). IT got fried by lightning and my computer guy hooked me up. Said it was a smoker but tried to play a crotch rocket motorcyle game and it was all blocky. So i figured something wasn't right. That's great i didn't realize how good it was. It's kind of hard to tell with dial up what you got. I almost traded it in for a laptop. Big mistake? I got that cd creator which is great. For some reason i just can't get javascript downloaded. I think i deleted it or something. You would think i would beable to download it manually but i keep getting errors after a half hour of downloading. Damn dial up. It's great getting help from people that know their way around computers. Thanks again

Doing pretty good Dave. Well i think i will contact my computer guy and see what he says on the ram upgrade. He's looking into a laptop for me right now i was going to trade this even up for one. But by the sounds of it i shouldn't. My computer guy is a really nice guy he give me my computer at cost. I will also shop around for a video card which will probally run me close to what i paid for my system. Unless i can get something cheaper. I hope. Then i will have to get one of those wide screen monitors LOL. That would be awesome if i had the money.

No, more memory will not improve internet/surfing performance. what memory will improve is windows application performance and games. in my opinion, 256 is the minimum amount of memory to have if you want to be merely functional, but i would recommand that you upgrade to 512MB instead.