Sub Edjucation needed

Skidmarks

Hey guys , I am getting a little confused with perhaps the "proper" way to connect your sub. I am using a Newer Yam. 7.1 A/V receiver, with an HSU sub.(my first ever sub) After many hours of frustration I did finally get it to work, but not truly understanding the means is my problem. I am using a single mono Monster cable(I beleive 400 seies) , but do not understand the alternate left /right connections? I only get sound when it is set to out? What would the "in" application be used for? Phase seems to sound better at 180...why? Crossover knob, I seem to rely on the receivers crossover settings, and not the Subs crossover? How should the levels be set for the best performance?

Like I said I get boom right now , but I would like to understand why and how I should set this up to get the best results. I have the RC7 center set to small,and the LFE set to both(sharing the lows with both front and sub.)

Thanks and sorry for the ignorance.

Hi, in and out is refering to the internal high-pass filter contained within.

Hence "in" the circuit, or "out" of the circuit.

If the Yamaha has only 1 output sub/LFE, get a "Y" adaptor to make a double run to the sub's L/R rca in's. You're missing out on half the fun.

Phase is adjustable to "coinside" with the frequencies at the cross-over point.

What mains are you running?

What are the cross-over frequency options on your reciever?

You're not ignorant, but where are the manuals?

The only connections for left/right are snap connectors. The only RCA is "a" mono connection. I dont think you understood my Question. I have it working fine because I did read the manuals, I was looking for a little bit of education in powered subs. I can do what it tells me to do in the manual, but that doesnt mean I understand why , or what I am doing?

I am using a single mono Monster cable(I beleive 400 seies), but do not understand the alternate left/right connections?

The left/right connections are there if you have a stereo signal (sub or full-range) which you want the monophonic sub to reproduce. This is used more often when you have a stereo preamp and run the full-range output to the sub. Normally, the sub would then filter the full-range signal and send it to the stereo power amp. The manual should tell you which input is appropriate for the mono LFE output from your receiver.

I only get sound when it is set to out? What would the application be used for?

Crossover "out" means that the internal crossover is bypassed. "In" should only be used if you are sending a full-range signal to the sub. An LFE output is a filtered signal.

Phase seems to sound better at 180...why?

The phase knob is to compensate for the difference in distance between your main speakers and the sub and the listening position. Since a sub is often placed at a different distance from the listener than the other speakers, its output does not arrive at your ear "in phase" with the rest of the signal. The phase knob tries to compensate for this problem. 98% of all speakers are not "time-aligned" (so that the output from each driver arrives at your ears at exactly the same time, but they are close enough to fool your brain.

Crossover knob, I seem to rely on the receivers crossover settings, and not the Subs crossover?

If you are using the LFE output from your receiver, then it has already filtered the signal which is going to the sub. If the sub then tries to filter the signal (using its crossover), you will end up with all kinds of response anomalies. Pick one, but don't use both!

How should the levels be set for the best performance? Like I said I get boom right now, but I would like to understand why and how I should set this up to get the best results.

The solution may not lie in the settings of the knobs. Just like any other speaker with significant low bass output, the sub may excite different resonances in your room. You may have to play with where the sub is located to eliminate the boominess while achieving a satisfactory tonal balance. Dr. Hsu actually will help you here. If you submit your room info on the following questionnaire, they will give you the best options for where to place the sub (and hopefully save you a lot of hassle):

http://www.hsuresearch.com/support/index.php?id=36

Hsu also has a forum similar to this one, which you may want to check out.

Jeff

Thanks Lurch, that was very informative, and I will be checking into the HSU forums and support. Its not this particular sub , just the proper way to run a sub from my system. I intend on getting something larger soon, for I run RF7s for mains, so the little HSUstf2 is hardly noticable over the boomy 7s. I left the sub for last when I put the HT together, and forgot how much a formidable sub would cost. HSU was the best bang for the buck for the $299 left in the budget. I will be looking for something that goes under the 20db mark soon.

Thanks all for your help guys.

SKID

Hi, In reply to ???, asked by sivadselim, I guess this is a splainer heh?

I probably shouldn't have tried to field this one, being unfamiliar to HSU sub connections, but figured most would have the same input/output jacks, terminals, switches and knobs as a Velodyne.

On my Yamaha AVR, there's 1 low pass out, so I "Y" it, to provide a double run of coax for the left and right RCA inputs on my Velodyne sub.

Assuming the sub's driver has dual voice coils, which most do(not on HSU?), if you only run to 1 channel input, then the other coil will be lifeless. Henceforth, it would be twice the "fun";read power, to utilize both voice coils, instead of just 1.

I suppose that other companies might do things differently with a special single LFE input or have some form of auto-sensing circuit, to know that you only have connected to 1 channel on the L/R inputs. Is this where the technology is at these days?

Sorry for any confusion, but the wife keeps telling me I'm pretty good at it. I just laugh and tell everyone how she cooks carrots and pees in the same pot. 2.gif

"Assuming the sub's driver has dual voice coils, which most do(not on HSU?), if you only run to 1 channel input, then the other coil will be lifeless."

that is NOT true. who told you that?

with a single LFE out, it's best NOT to use a Y adapter unless you have a reason to.

----------------

On 5/18/2004 9:44:27 PM Skidmarks wrote:

Its not this particular sub , just the proper way to run a sub from my system. I intend on getting something larger soon, for I run RF7s for mains, so the little HSUstf2 is hardly noticable over the boomy 7s.

----------------

So, are your RF-7s too boomy???

If so, then you probably need to move them further away from the room's boundaries. I would recommend running them full range and finding the best spot for them in your room (with the usual caveat for keeping the significant other happy). Then, you can add the sub and use it to fill out the bottom-end.

You may not be able to please the spouse and smooth out the bass though, as the RF-7s may have to be placed too far out into the room to flatten out the bass. This is where the sub can help you, because you may be able to use a higher crossover frequency setting on the LFE output to the sub to tame the problem. By setting the crossover to 80hz (for example), the RF-7s might be filtered out of the frequencies where you are having problems. You may be able to place the sub near a room boundary and it might be smoother than the RF-7s run full-range.

Also, this gives you the advantage of extending the dynamic range of receiver's amp sections and the RF-7s woofers, since they no longer have to work too hard under 80 hz.

Easy....right???? This problem has always confronted folks with subwoofers. Finding the best blend between the mains and sub involves a lot of trial and error. Experience is VERY helpful. If you can get your dealer to help you, that should significantly reduce the headaches involved.

Good Luck!

Jeff

"However, I must ask as to why it would be *better* to not use a "Y" adapter."

the cleaner the input signal to the sub, the better.

even though we're not talking about increasing the volume (necessarily) here, and even though the Y is usually not used as a way to simply increase the volume, and even though the input increase is modest when you use the Y, we CAN talk about it in those terms. that said, it's best to keep the input level to the sub as low as possible (within reason), and use the sub's amp, not a higher pre-level input signal, to obtain a volume increase.

sorta the same as a situation where, for example, you needed to increase the volume of your subwoofer by 10dB. you could do this either by turning the level up in the receiver or by using the sub's amp. it's obviously best to use the sub's amp, as increasing the output signal from the receiver (input signal to the sub) is undesirable, as it can only make the signal "dirtier". this is why it's usually recommended that, when possible, the sub's own volume control knob be set such that your sub's volume level setting in the receiver be at "0" dB or less.

so, in short, if you add a Y, you increase the pre-level input, so you have to decrease the sub amp's own output level correspondingly to maintain the same volume that you would have without the Y. this is, albeit small, a "dirtying" of the input signal to the sub relative to what would be possible without the Y. with a higher pre-level input signal, you end up using less of the sub's amp's power to maintain the same output, so the output sound is, theoretically, not as "clean" as would be possible if the Y is not used.

don't use the Y unless you need it for a specific reason, like getting your sub to "wake up" properly. however, i would recommend just leaving it ON all the time, if you have a sleeping sub.

(like the quaalude avatar, btw 11.gif)

See now this is why Klipsch forums are the best, you kill two birds with one post.lol

I would say the RF7s are not too boomy. They are just about perfect, to my ear. I may have the sub matched evenly with the lows on the 7s. I have never owned a sub before so I guess I assumed the sub response would at times dominate the 7s during movies or music which had the very low boomy moments? It really does not stand out above the 7s.