1 CD & 1 MD and 2 Receivers - Connection question

Tenhet

I have 1 CD player, 1 MD player and 2 receivers and want to use one (Denon) for outside speakers with the other (Marantz)for HT and Music.

I assume that I can use "Y" connectors to hook my CD and MD to each of the receivers.

Will I be able to play both receivers at the same time w/o any problems?

Needing some guidance, please.

------------------

Front - Quartets (Walnut oil)

Center - KG1.2v (Walnut oil) Black Academy coming soon!! WOO HOO!!!

Rear - Optimus (haha) soon to be replaced!!!

Receiver - Marantz SR-680 (upgraded from Denon AVR-810)

CD - Denon DCM-320

Tape - Denon DRW-850 (soon to be back in the box)

MD - Sony MDS-JE330

DVD - coming soon

Sharp 27"

This message has been edited by Tenhet on 07-12-2001 at 05:03 AM

I'm probably not gonna be much help, haveing not tried to run a second signal to a remote room. But I know my Yammy does this--have to have a second source (ie your other receiver). I'll look at my manuel when I get home & get back to you, meanwhile check out yours as well--has to be a section on playing a second source to a remote location.

I think the Y-connector will work well.

My understanding is that the output of the CD and MD will have a low impedance. Meaning that the level will not be altered by the load. The input to the receiver will be a high impedance. Meaning it will not present much of a load.

The bottom line is that the CD and MD output should be able to drive the input to both amps at once. Probably.

Some caveats. Maybe things are not quite as optimized in fact in your units as I describe. Two loads might be okay but three or four could cause problems.

If the worry is, "Will I burn out something by experimenting with the Y-connector?" Answer, no, not likely at all.

The most likely problem effect you'll encounter is that the treble falls off with the Y connector in place.

Let me suggest an alternative, which might work better and only requires another dual RCA connector cable.

See if you have a "tape out" on one of your receivers. You can plug the CD and MD into that receiver, then feed the the tape out to the other receiver to an Aux-1 or CD or VCR input. Naturally, select whatever you're feeding into.

The alternative has the benefit that you'll only have to switch the input selector of the first receiver to select between CD and MD.

Unfortunately, the tape out level is not going to be effected by the volume control of the driving receiver. Therefore you'll have to adjust volume with both. You might check owner's manuals of both receivers to see if there is a line level output which is affected by the volume control. I doubt it, but don't know.

I've seen some gadgets to allow the speaker output to be used as a line level output. That might work for you if a single volume control becomes an issue.

Let us know what you find.

Regards,

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 07-12-2001 at 08:30 PM